Chapter 9: The New Peril

After China's victory in Taiwan, MacArthur met with his military leaders to figure out the next course of action. The president was determined to retake Taiwan, but his military advisors were not. Among them was General Miles, the commander of the allied forces in the Pacific...

"Mr. President, it is not wise to start an offensive on Taiwan at the moment. We had our chance, but the Taiwanese army surrendered, and the Chinese are sending more and more troops into the islands by the day, they have air superiority, and their navy is all around. Actually, it is their navy we should focus on. As long as their navy is around, we cannot isolate Taiwan from China."

"You are saying that if we destroy their navy, we can take back Taiwan?", asked MacArthur.

"I don't think we can take back Taiwan, but it would be the first step if we do try it."

"We owe it to the Taiwanese people. I made them a promise, and we will deliver."

"Are you willing to sacrifice our men for a campaign that might be doomed from the start."

"I believe in honor and victory, general. Now if you say their fleet is the first step, then let's get to it."

General Miles was a skeptical man, but loyal to the core. One of the reasons he was appointed commander of the Pacific forces.

"I believe in honor too Mr. President. Just know that you are asking our military to pay a high price for a war that some people in our country do not believe we should keep fighting."

"It is a tough choice, but it is the right choice. Now, what shall we do about the enemy's navy?"

  "Admiral Medina says the Chinese have sent a fleet south towards the Philippines and another fleet towards the north. We believe their next targets are South Korea and the Philippines. Medina will brief you."

Admiral Medina was the commander of the Navy's Pacific fleet. He endured harsh criticism for failing to neutralize the Chinese Navy during the Taiwan campaign. Many wanted him out of the job and favored admiral Paxson, the commander of the Atlantic fleet, and hero of the Battle of Ponce. MacArthur didn't fire him because of his willingness to follow his plans without question, opposite to general Miles who was always questioning the presidents decisions.

"Mr. President, we believe the enemy's main target is South Korea. They might be trying to use their fleet to establish a blockade to cut us off from Koreans. It is likely that North Korea is conspiring with the enemy to invade from the north. The Philippines report might be a decoy. Their target would most likely be our military bases and Manila, but it is just a distraction, South Korea is the bigger concern. If the enemy invades Korea while being cutoff, it will be worse than Taiwan. China can move its army through land without the use of the navy or air force for transport which enables the latter to focus more on search and destroy missions than babysitting transports", said the admiral.

MacArthur pondered, and stared at his general, knowing that he was probably going to say something against his wishes or his admiral's concerns. "What do you think, Miles?", asked the president.

"The Philippines are our allies too. I think it's one or the other. If it is as Medina says, then we might as well take our chances with the Philippines. South Korea is doomed. At least in the Philippines we have a chance not to make the same mistakes we made in Taiwan. The safer choice would be Philippines. If it is a ruse? Then we at least have another chance to cripple their navy. Like I said before, our main target should be their navy. Once it's gone, maybe we'll have a chance to get on the offensive in the Pacific."

The president had a tough choice to make as to where to commit his main forces. He also had other concerns that Miles or Medina didn't have: politics. South Korea was a very important ally; not committing to their aid would make the US lose all credibility, specially after the fall of Taiwan.

"Admiral, you really believe the Philippines thing to be a ruse?"

"They are trying to split our forces to ease up their invasion of South Korea", replied Medina.

MacArthur made the decision. They would send  the navy and the army to South Korea while the air force would send most of its air wings stationed in Okinawa and other bases in the Pacific to the Philippines to help defend the nation in case of an attack. General Miles didn't agree on this plan, but he devised the best plan he could. "I don't agree Mr. President, but my men will do the best they can as to fulfill what you ask of us. Now is there a way our allies can do more for us?"

MacArthur replied: "Leave our allies to me. You'll get all the support I can muster."

After the meeting ended, MacArthur met with his allies in the Pacific. Japan pledged to send ships, air wings and soldiers to the coming battle. Australia was a little harder to convince; they thought that after Taiwan, the US was not a reliable ally. They were also preparing their own defense. They were not willing to send soldiers to what they also believed it was a doomed mission; soldiers that they needed for their future defense of the country if it was to be invaded. MacArthur managed to convince them into sending supplies, ships, and planes. "Give us the tools, we'll do the fighting", said the president. South Korea was in full alert and took defensive positions along their border. Their mission was to be ready to defend at all costs until the US could muster enough fighting strength to mount a counterattack. The US 3rd army was already stationed in Seoul ready to mobilize. President MacArthur did his best to appease his South Korean ally. The calm period after the fall of Taiwan felt like the calm before the storm. The enemy had the momentum and the advantage, it would require the creativity of the US military to pull off a decisive victory.

After meeting his allies, the president then went on and made a speech to the European Union. He tried to sway them into entering the war. They had no interest in it. After the Civil War and the fall of Taiwan it was evident for them, they saw the decline of the US as a world power. Many of them saw their Union as the rising world power that was steadily increasing while the Chinese and Americans destroyed themselves. Some Europeans believed in the American cause, but it was not enough. The United Kingdom, an old friend of the US, was the only European ally that answered the call. Their economy had more links to the US than other countries, and they had more to gain from their old ally and a lot to lose if China were to become the superpower of the new era. They preferred the world as it was in the 20th century, but change was coming...Many in The European Union were keenly aware of it, and they were bidding their time, for they had the means to challenge the Kings of the East as the new overlords of the world in the 21st century. All they needed to do was wait...