Prologue

WARNINGS: none for now

Note: This is based on the stories of a keeper reader with the octotrio by @ashensgrotto and @merakiui on Tumblr except I decided to take it a step further and include all the dorms. I know that a lot of these animals don't fit them perfectly, but I did the best I could. I left out Ortho because he has no age and he looks really young so... no.

All characters are aged up, since there will be mature themes in future parts.

Also, I can't promise I'll finish this. I suck at finishing stories.

—----------------------

"Pleased to meet you Mr. Crowley."

"It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Ms. (Y/n)!"

You smiled up at your new boss, taking in his eccentric appearance- everything from his crow feather-lined cape, to his sparkling suit, to his top hat, and to the black bird mask that covered half his face.

That name suits him.

"Now, you're mainly a researcher, but you will also be assisting with some of the general chores, such as feeding the animals," Mr. Crowley explained what you already knew.

"That's alright," you said, smiling brightly, "That will allow me to observe even more of their behaviors."

You were fresh out of college and ready to face The Halfling Zoo. There was plenty of debate whether it was okay to treat half-humans as animals and keep them in a zoo, but it was convenient for you. You didn't have to travel the world to attempt to study animals from afar through a camera lens.

"You will be supervising the lion and hyena exhibit, the wolf exhibit, the panther and tiger exhibit, the bird exhibits, the reptile house, and the aquarium," Mr. Crowley explained.

"Wait, did you mean to say the lions and hyenas are together? And the panthers and tigers? Or did I misunderstand?" you asked, confused.

"They are bonded groups, so it would be wrong to separate them," Crowley explained, "Halflings don't always act like their animal counterparts."

You nodded, cursing yourself internally. You had learned that on your first day at college! How could I be so stupid to forget about the bonds different Halfling species make?

"Follow me," Mr. Crowley's voice broke through your thoughts, "I'll show you around."

The two of you left the cramped office in the main staff building and headed out onto the guests' paths. You could see a few families walking by- less than usual, since it was nearing closing time. It felt as though the sky was growing darker by the minute as the sun made its way down the horizon, beautiful orange and pink clouds lighting its path.

You almost immediately arrived at the lion and hyena exhibit. It was a huge enclosure, the terrain so detailed that you felt as though you had stepped straight into an African savannah. In fact, you could even feel the heat emanating from the ground itself.

"We keep it as hot as their home naturally is," Mr. Crowley explained, reading your thoughts, "They're happy here- it's home with no need to hunt to survive."

You nodded, but inside you wondered if that was really true or not. Were they really happier in a giant cage on display for humans than they were in Africa? You couldn't imagine feeling that way.

Mr. Crowley pointed out a big rock where a pride of lions had gathered, "On top of that rock is the top dog- er, cat, I mean. The king of the jungle."

Upon closer inspection, and a lot more eye strain, you could make out a figure lying on the top of the large rock. It was a Lion Halfling, with tan skin and thick, dark mane of brown hair that fell to his shoulders, except for the braids in front of his face, which were even longer. You could just make out the lion's ears on top of his head and the lion's tail draped over the rock's side.