1

Métis 

My day started the same as it always does. 

Waking up at 7 a.m, making myself protein based breakfast and heading out to the club I work at. My "beautiful"residence in downtown Tampa, FL is in an old and edgy apartment complex where I live with my friend and co-worker - Claire. It's not ideal but it's the only one we can afford to pay.

Stepping out the building, I take in the sun as well as hot and humid weather the south has to offer. Closing my eyes, taking a big breath in and I smile.

With my origins presumedly going back to Greece, I don't have anyone else than her Claire because my parents died.

At least in my head, I was never lucky enough to get to meet them as I spent my childhood in foster care. 

As you can imagine, it wasn't easy growing up in many abuse-based families that only cared about using me to get benefits and extra government money.

Why do I think Greece is where I am originally from? 

Well, Métis means cunning intelligence in greek and as this name was given to me by my birth mother - at least that's what a social worker said and I always assumed that the name had something to do with my origins.

As to where I work, it's a gentlemen's club where I have been dancing for the past several years. I am currently in my mid 20's and I was never lucky enough to go to college. I am happy that I graduated from a local high school and ever since I've worked in La Mamba.

As I don't have any special talents, no diplomas or certificates, my work choices are quite slim. It was either this or working in a local grocery store and I would not look good in a Target employee uniform.

Turning around the corner, I can see my workplace with it's pink and black decor and a few gentlemen out smoking. Even though it's about 9 a.m, this club is going nonstop.

As a dancer, I earn money based on my performance and I don't get any hourly rate. 

On top of being a dancer, I also work the bar where I am rewarded based on how many hours I work.

Today's Wednesday which is usually a pretty busy day for not only dancers but bartenders as well.

I open the door and step in La Mamba. 

I am immediately hit with a distinctive smell consisting of cheap and overly sweet perfume, smoke and sweat. Nonetheless, it brings me peace. 

This work has been one of the few things that have been a constant in my life and even if I know it may be a degrading job dancing for strangers in lingerie, it's the best life that I could ever have when you take into consideration the cards I was given.

I smile at Michael who is the local security guard. He is build like a bodybuilder. He's huge which is a necessity when it comes to working in bar full of half-naked ladies and drunk men.

"How was your night?," I ask as every time I see him.

"You know, the usual," He responds with a calm voice.

I go by him giving him a pat on the back while I make my way to the changing room.

 I open my locker, push my bag in while taking my apron on. I tie my hair back and return to the bar where I begin to clean and put things in order as they were misplaced with the rush of the previous night.

Jake, my co-worker, gets to work as well and we exchange a smile. He has brown hair, green eyes and a smile that works like magic to a lot of girls that work here. 

We slept together numerous times but it's more like friends with benefits type of relationship.

 I don't get jealous over his adventures with clients or other girls nor does he with mine.

 I don't see him as someone with who I could potentially be with. Nor do I with any other human being. 

While growing up in foster care and being a witness to a lot of disgusting behavior a human being can engage in, I don't ever want to nor do I think I am capable of having a love-based relationship. 

Other than Claire, I don't particularly care for people. 

Of course that I don't go and act bitchy and wish people bad. But I just don't suppose getting close to them is something that would benefit me in the long run.

"Are you ready for tonight, my favorite co-worker?," Jake asks as he winks at me as he returns from the changing room. I push him with my hip and I smile.

"Yes, I can't wait."

"Métis, when are you free to spend a night with me?," he asks while getting close to me and kissing my ear. He's not wasting any time.

I hum and move to his face while looking at his eyes. I grab him by his neck making him come close to my face and whisper to his lips: "After work."

Jake smirks and grabs me by the hips. He leans in and kisses my forehead. I push him away and shift my focus to my work. He does the same thing.

Some clients are still there from the previous night, some are only coming in. 

Jake goes to be the server and I attend to what I am best in and that's making drinks, coffee and other non-alcoholic beverages that we serve.

The day progresses and suddenly it's about 10 p.m meaning I have been here for more than 12 hours. Other bartender comes and that's my cue to go change to my dancing outfit and perform for our VIP clients.

I am wearing my favorite outfit which is a dark green one with gold details. I exit the changing room not only in that outfit but in much darker and prominent makeup.

I enter the room, go to my pole and start dancing to the music. 

There are multiple clients, all people I know. 

They are all watching me with a drink in their hand while sitting relaxed in their chair. Looking at me as nothing but object that is pretty and dances sexy. 

Do I feel worthless?

 Yes. 

Do I mind it? 

No, it makes money and money keeps me off the streets and possibly dead.

Minutes pass and a new face comes in and his eyes set on mine. 

For a moment, I forget to breath and watch his eyes full of lust.