Buck Steps Up

"Eddie, we need you over here!" Chim yells into his communicator from behind the corner of the burning apartment building.

"On my way!" Eddie responds, grabbing an extra med kit and jogging over. As he rounds the corner a huge chunk of the wall crumbles, crashing to the ground.

"EDDIE!" I yell halfway up the ladder. I begin to climb back down.

"Buck, continue climbing. We'll handle it down here. Do your job!" Bobby says over the comms when he notices.

"Oh, uh, right sorry!" I say shaking my head and ascending once more finding the mother and her child cowering in the nearest corner of the roof.

-

"You can come in to see him. I'll explain there. Follow me." The doctor says to the way too large group of emergency service workers who argue are all family.

They all stand up to leave. "Wait, three more!" I hear a yell. I turn around to see my sister and niece who have picked up Chris from school.

The doctor looks at them, shakes his head and sighs, waving them over.

We all walk into the small room. And look over to Eddie, sleeping peacefully despite the bruises and casts.

I hug Maddie and sit on the foot of the bed as she sits in the chair beside us, Jee on her lap. Chris comes to lean against me as we look at the doctor.

"Well, in a sense he's very lucky. One to survive that rubble landing on him and to have such a big family, which I know is not all blood." He says scalding us.

"But his body is in need of a lot of healing. He has a broken leg and arm as well as serious internal bleeding. Possibly a concussion too. We've placed him in a medically induced coma. Just to help speed up the healing process. He should be awake in a week or so, depending on how quickly he is healing. For now, that's all I can tell you."

"Thank you, doctor. Do you think we could have some time with him?" Bobby asks.

"Of course. Oh and one more thing. Please don't show up as a big group again. 4 maximum." The doctor says sternly and walks out of the room.

We all turn back to Eddie. 'He seems so peaceful.' I think placing my hand on his unbroken leg.

We all stand/sit in silence, comforting each other. "Someone will need to take care of Chris." Maddie says softly looking up at me.

I look her in the eyes. "I'll do it." I say looking at Chris.

"Are you sure Buck? You're not exactly practised in taking care of someone." Hen says looking at me with kind eyes.

"Yeah, Eddie's my best friend and I'm Chris' legal guardian if, you know... Plus he isn't a baby, he'll probably be looking after me. Isn't that right?" I say looking around the room at everyone before back at Chris.

"Yeah, I am basically a teenager and Buck is well, Buck." Chris jokes.

"Ha, ha. Very funny!" I laugh, lightly pushing him.

-

"Hey bud, sorry I'm late. How are ya?" I ask as Chris gets into the car. It's been a week and everything seems to be going just fine.

"Honestly Buck, I just want to go home. I feel a bit sick." He says sadly leaning against the window.

"Ok, we can go home." I say, starting the car. We drive home in silence. I help him out of the car when we get home and into his room. In which he flops onto his bed and curls up in a ball.

"I'll let you rest. I'm just gonna be in the kitchen, see if I can make some soup." I say and I see him nod.

I stand in the kitchen and take a deep breath. 'Ok, how do I take care of a sick kid? Normally I send them to the hospital or at least to Hen.'