The Fire That Made Him

"You're gonna stay in here until I say so!" Mom says sternly. She turns and slams the door to my room. "And you! You're gonna watch him. He can eat lunch there." I hear her say to my sister.

Footsteps and another slammed door. A few seconds pass before a knock on my door.  "She's gone, you can come out." My sister says before going to her room.

Angry I pack my bags, a duffle full of clothes and a blanket. I grab my backpack and walk out of my room, past my sister's room. She looks up at me. "Where are you going?" She asks.

"I..." My voice cracks. I take a deep breath. "I need to get away. Take a walk." I say, shifting my bag on my shoulder.

"You do know you're only 9 right?" She sighs. "I get it. I'll cover for you, as long as you don't tell me where you're going." She looks at me worried before nodding me off.

I nod at her before jogging downstairs. I open my backpack and pack a flashlight, a box of matches and as much food as I can fit. I go to walk out the door before seeing a cell phone on the coffee table, mom's? I don't know. I grab it shoving it in the pocket of the bag.

I jumped on my bike and rode as fast as I could. Tears streaming down my face. After a while, I arrive in the forest. 'I know this place. The abandoned house!'

I ride down the old dirt path until I reach the old worn house. The windows are long gone and the doors don't stay closed but it's a roof over my head.

I throw my bike to the side and walk into the building, I find a clean-ish corner and lay out my blanket. I sit down and open up a packet of chips.

I get bored quickly, deciding to go for a walk. I walk and walk around, finding cool sticks and rocks, and shoving them in my pockets.

The sun lowers, the air cools and I feel myself start to shiver. I wrap my jacket tightly around myself and head back to the house, collecting dry branches and brush as I go.

I walk into the room and start to build a pile in the opposite corner to my "bed". I grab my matches and strike one throwing it into the pile. A stick catches fire before going out. I light another and another before, whosh, the pile catches. I place the matchbox in my jacket pocket and sit by the fire rubbing my hands in front of it.

I watch the flames dance until it starts to go down. I grab my flashlight and go back outside to grab more wood, it is cold and dark. I go deeper into the forest in hopes of finding big dry sticks.

I come back inside to find the fire has spread. I drop the sticks, trying to grab my stuff, only able to grab the backpack and run out of the house.

I run until I can't breathe. I drop my stuff and huff before remembering, grabbing the phone and calling 911. I cry to the operator, trying to explain what happened and where I am before the phone dies.

I decide to walk back towards the house until I can see the ember flames. I sit down against a tree and begin to cry. I can hear the siren of the fire truck, moving behind the tree, peaking out from behind it to watch the firefighters at work.

They have water hoses, powerful ones. They look so focused and determined. 'Woah! That's so cool!' I see a few firefighters in full protective gear run into the building.

Slowly the fire dissipates and I see a firefighter run out. "Did you find the boy?" A firefighter yells to him. "He must have gotten out." Another calls. The first firefighter looks around.

I hide, sitting behind the tree and bringing my knees to my chest hiding my face. 'Don't find me. Please don't find me!'

I hear leaves crunch, slowly they come closer and closer. The footsteps stop right next to me before I feel someone squat down next to me.