Chapter 27: The Search for Raelle

Elydis' POV

Eleven days. That's how long it had been since Raelle and Avalain were taken. It was difficult for me to get out of bed most days, but I couldn't give up hope until we found them.

I'd been hiding out in the Archmage named Calder's home since Kessia rescued me, and while I was grateful for his hospitality, I felt awkward. The old man was perfectly kind, but I couldn't help but feel like I was intruding.

The only good news I've gotten lately was that Raelle's family was here and safe, hidden behind the enchanted door of Calder's cellar. Astryn scared me one evening when she popped up in the dining room, but I'd never been so happy to see her. She was more distraught than I was, and the stress of her eldest child being missing was weighing heavily on her.

Calder and Laris, the other Archmage who was aware of the situation, did their best not to arouse suspicion in the Keep. Court would still be held tomorrow, and as far as the citizens of Strathe know, Raelle has taken ill. When they aren't in meetings or other prior commitments, they've searched every apothecary shop that seemed run down.

Laris' vision showed the girls in a dingy room filled with old shelves of herbs and vials that looked like they hadn't been touched in years. It didn't seem likely that a newer potion seller would allow their stock to collect dust like that, so we ruled them out.

Still, we could not find her. Either Laris was lying about what he saw, or we were missing something. It was possible she wasn't in an apothecary shop at all, and we were looking in the all the wrong places. As much as I hated to admit it, I trusted Laris. From what I could tell, he has genuine concern for Raelle, and has been our biggest help. It's not his fault the gods are cryptic.

Around noon, I finally got up. Calder gave me access to the cellar, and assured me that anything down there is free for me to use, including his training dummies and swords. If there was ever a time to need to fight, it was now. When we did find the girls, and we would, I didn't want to be helpless.

Hours passed, and I'd finally exhausted all of my energy. I'd hoped my anger and frustration would dissipate, but it didn't. If anything, I was angrier. Why couldn't we find her? And what in the hells did Nyrax want? So many unanswered questions, and there seemed to be more and more everyday.

I was pulled out of my stupor by the sound of shouting coming from upstairs, it sounded like Calder and Astryn. I cautiously trudged upstairs and listened through a crack in the door.

"What do you mean you have no idea? It's been eleven days, Alaric! There has to be some place you haven't looked!" yelled the woman, clearly irked by the lack of answers. A sentiment I wholeheartedly agreed with.

"Astryn, please. I am doing my best. After court is held tomorrow, I will check all of the apothecaries we've yet to visit. All of the old, dilapidated ones have been dead ends. I'm sorry, I wish I had better news. I miss her too," assured the elderly man.

They went quiet then, and I finished my ascent to the main floor of the house. They were locked in an embrace, tears streaming down the grieving mother's face.

When she saw me, she wiped her cheek, stepped away from Calder, and said, "Ah, Elydis. I wondered where you'd run off to. Have you eaten yet?"

I looked between the two people and shook my head, prompting Astryn to lead me into the dining room and serve me several bowls of stew. She always made sure I'd eaten enough, even when my stomach was in knots.

The next day, true to his word, Calder left the Keep immediately after court, alongside Laris, Jestae, and Eobari, to continue the search. My anxiety was at an all time high. For all we knew, Raelle and Avalain could be dead. Kessia and I sat at the table in the cellar, looking down at our feet and waiting with bated breath.