five | arguments attract

What the fuck are you doing?

The voice in my head asks in a loop.

Breaking Samantha LaRusso out of her luxurious 'prison' of a house one minute, and her driving us toward a party the next.

What the fuck are you doing?

Robby gives me a grin from the passenger seat. He and Sam seem to know each other and the two have been drilling me with questions for the last fifteen minutes on our way to The Canyon; the place where this party is being held.

Where are you from? Nevada.

How old are you? Turning 16 in June.

What's your favorite color? Dark blue.

Have any siblings? One, a brother.

Where'd you learn Taekwondo?

The last question sparks Sam's interest.

"You know Martial Arts?" She asks, gripping the steering wheel. I nod, making her smile. "I guess that makes three of us. My dad's been teaching me since I was little and now he's taken up a new student."

Sam grins at the boy beside her and Robby smiles back, red hues creeping up his neck. He turns to me in the back seat. "Hey, if you're sticking around..." He shrugs, "I'm sure Sensei LaRusso wouldn't mind having a new student to teach."

I press my lips together, pushing back the true emotion that wants to bubble up in my stomach. I've never been good at getting to know people let alone making friends. But there's something about Sam and Robby... they treat me as if I've known them for years.

"Maybe," I reply. "I'll think about it."

The car suddenly screeches to a stop and Sam smiles at us. "We're here!" She sings enthusiastically, dancing out of the car. Robby and I share a look before following after her.

"With your driving, we're lucky to be alive." He laughs as Sam fishes a blanket out of the trunk.

She gives him an eager chuckle. "Sorry, I just... I know Miguel's been waiting for me."

Ah, Miguel. From what I've gathered the boy is her boyfriend.

"So you're a little late. Big deal..." I shrug.

She grimaces, looking between the two of us as we begin to walk. The car is parked between others in a small forest. Judging by the number of vehicles, I'd say the party is in full swing.

"Well, the thing is, I haven't told my dad I'm dating Miguel and I think he knows now that I'm keeping it a secret." She explains, shoving her fists in her pockets. "So it's been kinda awkward."

Robby raises an eyebrow. "Why have you been keeping it a secret?" Apparently, he doesn't know as much as I thought he did. I figured Robby at least knew more than me because right now it feels as if I was just introduced to the popular kids and now I'm being filled in on all the preliminary gossip.

Sam anxiously nibbles her lip as we clear through the trees.

Just a few yards down the hill, I make out the gangle of teens crowded around the fire pit, sipping what I can only assume is alcohol from red plastic cups and sitting on blankets as they talk, listen to music, and make out.

Meanwhile, Sam's eyes crease as she sighs. "Because my dad hates Miguel's sensei. Like, with a passion."

I snort and immediately apologize as Sam and Robby glance at me. "Sorry. It's just... rivalry is so pointless to me. Let it go and move on; that's the way the world works."