fifteen | fire and ice

A glass shatters in the background, followed by voices and a girl's shrill scream. I jolt awake.

Oh, fuck.

Beside me, Robby stirs, groaning as he sits up. "What was that?"

"Shit," I respond, jumping out of bed. I snag a pink tank top off the ground and a pair of jean shorts that I quickly pull on. "Shit," I mutter again as I pull my bedridden hair off my face into a messy ponytail.

Robby gets the message when he hears more loud voices echoing through the thin walls. He jumps out of bed, searching for his missing shirt. I groan, grabbing my Converse from the ground as I open the window and toss them out.

"Yo, come on!" I hiss, grabbing Robby's shoulder before he can even pull his shirt over his head. I find his shoes near my bed and thrust them into his hand as he climbs out the window.

"You're an asshole, Miles Steel!" The girly voice cries— apparently, I'm not the only one who had company last night.

I can't help but laugh a little as I grab Robby and my skateboards, passing to him out the window before I hoist myself up onto the window sill. Robby helps me out, placing his hands on my hips like he did before to lower me onto the grass.

The second I stand soundly, I drop down to pull on my shoes, tying the long laces around my ankles. Robby helps me off the grass again, both of us grabbing our skateboards.

Around the corner, the front door slams, and the voices carry outside. We both glance around the corner, looking like we're straight out of a Scooby-Doo episode as Miles and one of his hookups fall out onto the porch.

"Fuck you! I thought we had something." The girl shouts. Her hair is a wild mess and her makeup is ruined. Her skirt is hastily tossed on and her shoes along with her bag and blouse are all held in a bundle in her arms. At least she's wearing a bra.

"I don't do relationships." Miles rolls his eyes, appearing shirtless in a pair of boxers just outside the door. "You were a good fuck though, dollface. Come back whenever you want."

The girl's chin wobbles. She just manages to flip my brother off as she scurries down the driveway to her car parked out on the road. I kinda feel bad for her. My brother's hurt a lot of girls with the things he's said, but that doesn't mean they deserve it. To him, these poor girls are fun. To them, my brother gave them the world in one night.

I don't know how he does it. Pick up girls as fast as he does, that is. He's a good-looking guy, I'll give him that, and definitely a charmer, but his personality is for shit.

When Miles turns to go back inside, Robby and I duck back around the corner so that we won't be seen. And after a second, we start laughing.

"What was that?" Robby smiles.

I shake my head. "Just another morning in the Steel house. C'mon." I add, pushing myself away from the house.

Robby and I ride down to the mini-mart outside Cobra Kai to grab a breakfast of energy drinks and egg and sausage burritos before we're on our way to Miyagi-Do.

"Is your house like that every morning?" Robby Keene asks on the way.

Swallowing my mouthful of eggs, I nod. "Only when Miles's in a bad mood. That's why I told you to be out by six." I sigh. "He was drinking earlier. And it's summer. He's always got a new chick."

Robby makes a gesture of understanding as he does a trick on his board. I copy him, doing a different trick of my own, only better. He huffs, watching me.

"Always trying to show me up?"

I shrug. "I'm just better, white boy." I skate in front of him.

"Hey," He suddenly calls, getting me to look around at him. "Did you see the commercial?"