fourteen | night troubles

I've never met a person who is more pissed off than me.

Actually... that's not entirely true, but right now, I feel as if I've never met a person who is more pissed off than me. Robby Keene storms into the dojo, looking entirely fed up with life.

Sam, who got here half an hour ago and just started reviewing the steps two minutes ago, now turns to him as he enters through the gate.

"Hey, Robby, do you know if the first turn was clockwise or counterclockwise?" She asks.

"I don't remember." He huffs.

"Clockwise," I call from the porch.

Sam glances at me over her shoulder and smiles in thanks. On the other hand, Robby's gaze narrows.

"What's even the point? How's that stupid dance supposed to save us in a fight?" He asks angrily.

"It's for if you're surrounded," I answer without looking up. I realized that much the other day— it might look like a dance but it's for if you're being ganged up on. Two defenders versus the offensive players.

The Wheel Technique.

They both turn to me, Robby taking a step forward. "How do you know that?"

Now I look up from my book and shrug as I get up. "It's sorta obvious."

"Yeah, to you." Sam chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "Come on, you're dad's been out back all morning."

Behind the dojo, Mr. LaRusso is waist-deep in the pond, heaving bonsai trees off the wooden platform and carrying them to safety in the grass. Sam raises an eyebrow at her father's actions, watching him with an inquisitive look.

"What are you doing?" She asks. It's a question I'd like to know myself, but I have no interest in opening my mouth.

Mr. LaRusso smiles at us, coming forward. "Mr. Miyagi built this a few years before he died," He gestures to the floating platform, "He said it was a monument to balance. But today, it isn't going to be balancing bonsais. It's gonna help you three learn the wheel technique. Hop in." He adds, nodding to the water.

Sam looks at it with disgust. "You actually want us to get in there?"

"Yeah." He deadpans. "You and Rhys, let's go."

I shake my head while Sam's jaw drops. While she gaffes at the idea, I shrug off my hoodie and sneakers before lowering myself into the pond. The water feels cold against my skin and goes up to my stomach.

Sam gets in behind me, shrieking at something she steps on. I bite back a smirk as I waddle around to the other side of the disk. It dips up immediately with even the slightest pressure I apply to one end.

Back on shore, Robby's brows shoot up. "Wait, if we can't do this on the land how are we supposed to do it on that thing?"

"Excuse me? Are you in here right now?" I ask, splashing water at the boy's legs.

He jumps. "Hey!"

"Wait you're turn, haircut." I scold.

Sam and her dad laugh at us; Sensei LaRusso shaking his head. "On the ground, it's hard to sense when your partner is moving. But on that deck, you're gonna feel it right away. Trust me."

I shrug, looking up at Sam. She nods, pushing herself up out of the water. I follow her lead. Both of us struggle just to get on, let alone stand up. Sam almost falls over as the water makes the platform move under us and I wave my arms around like a lunatic just to get any sense of balance.