twelve | whirlwind

Mr. Lee always preached the art of breathing.

For the longest time, I thought it was stupid. What did breathing have to do with kicks and punches? What did balance have to do with any of it?

Only now I understand...

Breathing, controlled. Spine, straight. My hands pressed together as I balance on one leg.

Another of Mr. Lee's lessons. Without balance, peace, and focus, there is no rhyme to the skills we learned in class. If you don't know where your punch is heading you can't throw it.

I breathe out. Mind clear. Eyes closed. No thought and those that come to mind drift away like sailboats on a windy lake.

Such a technique was taught to me at a time that feels like it was so long ago now. Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. No thoughts. Balance. Peace... Jump, kick, punch, block, attack.

With my eyes still closed, I spin out of my balance and into a slow roundhouse kick.

It's been so long since I practiced the martial art on my own and not just against somebody else.

From the roundhouse, I shift into a series of low-step kicks, all of them slowed down and in sync with my breaths. I land on the grass on my feet, widening my stance back.

I breath.

A cross punch, followed by a sidekick and I return to my original tree pose.

Exhale slowly.

Calm. Peace. Balance.

Life lessons.

"It isn't just about kicking, child. You find the balance in here." Mr. Lee said as he tapped on my forehead. The mindset. I still remember his comforting touch...

Screams. Sudden screams. Blood. A car alarm barring. His face engraved in my memory—

I lose my balance, staggering back to catch myself.

"Whoa! Hey," Robby gasps. He's suddenly there, hands settled on my back and waist to steady me in a half-dipped position.

I look up at him, and suddenly I'm aware of how rapid my breath has gotten and how clammy my hands are.

"Are you okay?" Robby asks when I pull away from him with a start, striding three feet away from him.

"I'm fine." My answer is sharp and I know Robby is anything but convinced. Luckily, he doesn't push it and instead takes a small step toward me as I fall down onto the rocks surrounding the pond behind Miyagi-Do.

"What kind of taekwondo was that?" He asks instead.

I sigh. "It's a type of meditation," I answer as his footsteps come a little closer. "Or well, it's my type of meditation."

"What'd you mean?" He inquires, taking a seat on the grass behind me.

I try my best to smile. "I'm not into all that slow breath and hand motion shit. I do it my own way."

Robby smiles, scooting up closer to me in a slow manner that suggests he thinks I'll punch him or something. "Yeah, I kind of got that vibe from you."

I snort, making Robby laugh as well.

"Rhys Steel, did you just snort?" He snickers.

"Shut up, haircut." I roll my eyes, leaning over to punch his arm, only I underestimated the distance he's placed between us and end up falling into his lap.

Our laughter stills immediately.

I stare up at him, heart-stopping so fast it leaves skid marks. Meanwhile, Robby's breath hitches when he looks down at me, his gaze undoubtedly flickering from my eyes to my lips, and back.