Chapter 8: Dame Aylin

As Delphie stirs from her slumber, she finds herself nestled securely in Astarion's arms. The rhythmic rise and fall of his chest creates a cocoon of comfort around her.

As she nuzzles into his chest, the wood elf inadvertently rouses Astarion from his dreams. His eyes flicker open, and a soft smile plays on his lips as he meets her gaze. In the quiet intimacy of the moment, Delphie can't help but marvel at the sense of safety and belonging she finds in the vampire spawn's embrace.

The shared smile speaks volumes. It's a brief respite, a stolen moment of peace before the challenge that awaits them outside the confines of the tent.

With a gentle separation, they reluctantly leave the warmth of the makeshift bed and begin the process of getting ready for the day. The rustle of armor and the clink of weapons serve as a stark reminder of the impending battle that awaits them. Despite the gravity of the situation, there is a newfound strength in the unity of the party.

As Delphie and Astarion emerge from the tent, they join their companions who are already gathered, preparing for the challenge ahead. The camaraderie within the group is evident—a shared determination to face the dangers that lie ahead. The light of the protective dome illuminates the diverse group of adventurers, casting a sense of unity that transcends individual differences.

A call from Shadowheart interrupts the comfortable silence between Delphie and Astarion as he fastens the straps of his armor. Delphie turns her attention to the half-elf, meeting her gaze with a mixture of weariness and determination.

"How are you-" Shadowheart begins, her keen eyes assessing Delphie for any signs of lingering injuries. The concern in her voice is evident as she seeks to gauge the ranger's physical and mental well-being.

Delphie responds with a sad smile, a reflection of the inner turmoil she carries. "I'm not-" she starts, a hint of frustration in her voice. "I don't feel like myself, but the fight with Ketheric isn't going to be easy." Her eyes briefly flicker back to Astarion, a silent acknowledgment of the support she finds in him. "But a wise person once told me we're in this together."

"I'm pretty sure that person was you," Shadowheart remarks, a touch of amusement in her voice. Delphie rolls her eyes playfully, the banter providing a brief moment of levity in the midst of their preparations.

Shadowheart shifts to a more serious demeanor. She gives Delphie a soft smile that carries an underlying gravity. "As much as I'd love to sit here and talk, we have more pressing issues at hand." Delphie nods in agreement, acknowledging the urgency of the situation.

A sigh escapes the cleric's lips. "I never became a Dark Justiciar." The admission hangs in the air, revealing a layer of vulnerability beneath the stoic exterior of the half-elf.

Delphie's eyes widen in shock. "But Shadowheart-"

"We found out there was one more challenge ahead... I had to defeat the Nightsong," Shadowheart explains, her voice carrying a weight of revelation. Delphie, still processing the information, looks at her with a furrowed brow, a mixture of confusion and concern evident in her gaze.

"Only it turns out the Nightsong isn't a relic... she's a person. Her name is Aylin, the daughter of Selune. And it also turns out my whole life devoted to Shar has been a lie," Shadowheart continues, her tone tinged with disbelief and betrayal.

"I'm not following-" Delphie starts, trying to grasp the intricacies of the revelation.

"Lady Shar has altered my memories. Aylin said she would explain more after the battle. I betrayed my goddess, and now she's angry. I can feel it," Shadowheart confesses, a pained expression crossing her face as she holds her cursed hand. Delphie immediately reaches out and grabs the half-elf's shoulder in concern.