Chapter 9: Bloodlust of the Red

Squelch. Squelch. Squelch. Squelch. Gale's face is as pale as a ghost as they walk through the fleshy halls within the turret. The walls seem to pulsate, and fleshy tentacles serve as doors, responding to commands through mysterious parasites.

As they enter a ritualistic room, the scene becomes even more unsettling. Dozens of undead, under the command of a death shepherd, confront them. A sense of urgency grips the party as the undead charge. Delphie, prioritizing the safety of her companions, steps forward. Her transformation begins – she levitates, scales glowing, and eyes turning white. Above her, storm clouds gather, and thunder rumbles.

With a commanding shout, "Myink buatleb!" Delphie unleashes the power of the storm. The undead, confused, halt as they look up. Delphie smirks and utters, "Itpro." In moments, the majority of the undead disintegrate into ash as bolts of lightning strike down on them. However, another wave approaches, with the death shepherd trailing close behind.

Astarion, displaying his marksmanship, pulls out a diamond-pointed arrow and skillfully pierces through multiple undead. Shadowheart summons radiant spirit guardians, causing more undead to wither in her divine light. Karlach and Lae'zel charge forward, slashing through the horde with sharp weapons. Gale contributes by unleashing a fireball towards the death shepherd, singeing it. Wyll delivers the finishing blow with two blasts of red crackling energy.

After the intense battle, the group takes a moment to catch their breath. "I don't think it's this room," Delphie says, turning toward Astarion with a playful glint in her eyes.

"No, shit, darling," the pale elf says with an amused look. Delphie snorts in response before heading back the way they came.

***

The group steps into the next room, only to be greeted by a disconcerting sight – a chamber filled with mind flayer pods, reminiscent of the ones they were trapped in months ago. Some pods cradle newborn mind flayers, while others contain humanoid figures who've yet to go through ceremorphosis, including Zevlor. Delphie, a mix of worry and irritation etched on her face, examines the control panel that activates the pods.

A stage whisper from Astarion carries a warning tone. "Delphie, don't."

In response, Delphie sends him a sideways glance, seemingly unmoved. Lae'zel steps forward. "Tsk'va. For once, I agree with the vampire. Do not press that button."

Karlach, concerned for Zevlor's safety, gestures toward his pod. "But Zevlor. If we don't free him, he'll grow fucking tentacles."

Delphie remains resolute, her focus on the greater risk at hand. "They're all sleeping. There are more mind flayers in these pods than not. We should leave it alone, darling." Astarion pleads with Delphie through his gaze, urging her to reconsider.

Despite the warnings and pleas, Delphie defiantly presses her hand against the control panel, determined to free those trapped in the pods. Astarion, frustrated, slaps a hand against his forehead. "Must you have such a bleeding heart?"

The tension in the room rises as the consequences of Delphie's decision unfold.

The hiss of opening pods heralds the emergence of bodies, and the room is instantly plunged into chaos as newborn mind flayers, driven by an insatiable hunger for brains, throw themselves at the group. A fierce battle unfolds, and with the unexpected assistance of Zevlor and two others emerging from the pods, they manage to repel the horde of mind flayers and intellect devourers. The clash is intense, each member of the group fighting to protect themselves from the relentless onslaught.

As the last mind flayer falls, Zevlor, visibly exhausted, sighs in relief. "Hells...I didn't think I was going to make it. Thank y-" His words are cut short by Delphie, fueled by a mix of anger and frustration, stomping up to the tiefling leader and delivering a resounding smack across his face. A stunned silence falls over the group as they witness this unexpected act.