Scanlan x Fem!Reader💙❤‍🩹

Scanlan: Can I be frank with you guys?
Y/n: Sure, but I don't see how changing your name is gonna help.
Pike: Can I still be Pike?
Grog: Shh, let Frank speak.

Warnings: A little swearing, mention of a burn

Fluffy_kitten3  I did make the Reader a fox person, I know thats not exactly what you asked for, but it just made it a bit easier for me to write

-------------------------

The air was thick with tension as the group trudged through the dense underbrush, the shadows of the towering trees casting long fingers across the forest floor. Separated from the rest of Vox Machina in their quest for the Vestiges, you found yourself with an unlikely trio – Pike, Grog, and Scanlan. While the camaraderie was strong, there was an unspoken awkwardness that lingered around you and the mischievous bard.

You, the runt of your animal-like kind, possessed strength that belied your small stature. Your fur, a blend of earthy tones that helped you blend into the surroundings, served you well in these wooded lands. Your chosen form today was that of a nimble fox, ears alert and eyes keen as you moved gracefully beside your larger companions.

The journey had been challenging, but the real trials lay within the confines of your own heart. Pike, ever perceptive, had noticed the stolen glances and hushed whispers that exchanged between you and Scanlan. One evening, as the campfire crackled and the shadows danced, Pike pulled you aside with a knowing smile.

"Go on, Y/n," Pike urged, her eyes soft with understanding. "Tell him how you feel. Life's too short to keep things like that hidden."

"But what if he rejects me? It'll make the already awkward tension between us even worse!" You said, chewing on one of your claws a bit.

"You'll never know unless you try, besides, I'm sure he'll accept and if he doesn't oh well, you'll find someone else." Pike says, giving a thumbs up.

Taking a deep breath, you nodded and steeled yourself for the confession. That night, beneath the star-studded sky, you found Scanlan by the edge of the camp.

"Scanlan," you began, your fox eyes meeting his gaze. "There's something I need to tell you."

But before you could speak your heart, Scanlan's eyes widened, and he held up a hand, cutting you off. "Listen, Y/n, this isn't the right time. We've got too much on our plate, and I can't afford distractions right now."

Your heart sank as he dismissed your feelings with a nonchalant wave. Pike, watching from a distance, felt a pang of sympathy for you. Grog, oblivious to the romantic turmoil, chugged ale and belched loudly, adding an odd soundtrack to the emotional scene.

As the days passed, the awkwardness between you and Scanlan hung in the air like an unresolved chord. Pike, always the voice of reason, approached you again one evening.

"He's scared, you know," Pike whispered, her eyes filled with empathy. "But that doesn't mean he doesn't care. Give him time."

So, you waited, your heart aching with unspoken words and unfulfilled emotions. The forest seemed to echo your longing as your group pressed on with their quest. It wasn't until a quiet night, with the moonlight filtering through the leaves, that Scanlan sought you out.

"Hey," he began, his usual bravado replaced by a vulnerability you had never seen before. "I've been a fool, haven't I?"

You nodded, a mix of relief and sadness flooding your heart. "A little."

"I'm scared," he admitted, his eyes meeting yours. "Scared of losing people I care about. But maybe... maybe I've been too quick to push you away."

With those words, a weight lifted from your shoulders, and a tender smile played on your lips. Scanlan took a step closer, and in that quiet clearing, beneath the watchful eyes of the moon and stars, he reached out to touch your fur, fingers gentle and apologetic.

"Maybe we can figure this out together," he whispered, his eyes searching yours for understanding.

And so, in the heart of the forest, surrounded by the whispers of the wind and the rustle of leaves, your journey with Scanlan took a new turn – a delicate balance of angst and fluff, with the promise of something more.

As the days unfolded, the bond between you and Scanlan deepened, a fragile thread woven from shared laughter, stolen glances, and the unspoken understanding that had developed. One evening, as the camp settled into a comfortable rhythm, you decided to contribute to the group by preparing a simple meal. With a makeshift grill set up over the campfire, you focused on the task at hand, determined to show your gratitude for the support and kindness you had received.

Unbeknownst to you, the flames danced with a mischievous energy, reaching higher than expected. Engrossed in your cooking, you didn't notice the intensity of the heat until it was too late. A searing pain shot through your paw as it brushed against the scalding metal, and you recoiled with a yelp.

The sudden cry caught the attention of the others. Pike and Grog rushed to your side, concern etched on their faces. Scanlan, ever quick-witted, grabbed a nearby water skin and poured its contents over the burn, offering some relief to the throbbing pain.

"By the gods, are you alright?" Pike asked, her healing hands glowing with a warm, golden light.

You winced, trying to suppress the pain. "I'll be fine. Just a little accident."

Scanlan, sensing your discomfort, knelt beside you. "Well, well, looks like our fierce little fox got a bit too close to the fire. You should be more careful, sweetheart."

Despite the pain, a small smile tugged at the corners of your lips. "I'll keep that in mind."

Pike finished her healing spell, and the burn began to fade. Grog, still puzzled by the concept of cooking, grunted in approval at the scent of the food. The group settled back around the campfire, the incident serving as a gentle reminder of the risks and rewards that came with their adventures.

As the night wore on, Scanlan, now wearing a serious expression, turned to you. "I've been thinking," he began, his gaze softened by genuine concern. "Maybe I've been too caught up in my own fears. I don't want to keep pushing you away, especially when you're going through something like this."

You met his eyes, grateful for the sincerity in his words. "I appreciate that, Scanlan."

With a mischievous grin, he added, "Besides, we wouldn't want our talented chef to get injured and ruin our meals, now would we?"

The tension lifted, and the group shared a moment of lighthearted laughter. Scanlan, true to his nature, leaned in and pressed a gentle kiss to your forehead, a silent promise of support and understanding. As the night continued, the campfire crackled, casting a warm glow over the makeshift family that had formed in the heart of the wilderness.

In the midst of adventure, pain, and the uncertainties of the future, you found solace in the companionship of those who stood by your side. And as you four pressed on, you couldn't help but feel a renewed sense of hope, fueled by the bonds that had grown stronger through both the challenges and the tender moments beneath the stars.