16. A Fight to the Death

The day after he worked the communicator to success, Norin awoke from a great sleep, after a long time.

He hadn't a good night's sleep since Ayesha Sinhala had been appearing in his dreams. They always ended in a flurry and disaster, leaving him to wake up with sweat and gasping.

But the previous night, he had a really, really good sleep.

'Though, I do hope it's doesn't mean a calm before the storm,' he thought. He looked around but the chamber was empty. The sun was high above in the sky, indicating that it was almost noon and he had slept through his breakfast.

He closed his eyes and groaned. "I suppose Mithra thought I should get my sleep while I can!"

"Something like that."

Norin's eyes flew open and turned once again towards the window. Cassandra stood leaning against it, standing on the wide window sill outside. He blinked, wondering if he was dreaming. 'She wasn't here just a while ago, was she?'

"If you're wondering if you're dreaming, then no, I'm really here," she went on. "But if you're wondering whether I've been here invisible... then, no. I'm a royal heir, previously, not a mage."

He let out a wave of relief. "Well, good noon to you, too."

"Good noon." She smiled, revealing pure white teeth. "I trust you had the best sleep in a long time?"

He nodded, a slow smile twisting his lips. "Yes, I did, thank you. Where's Mithra?" He felt he knew the answer, but he wanted to be sure.

"In the courtyard. We'd been practicing since breakfast. Well, she had been going at it since she woke up. I merely offered my services afterwards, since I had nothing better to do."

He snorted, not unfriendly. "And provide some distraction, I suppose?"

She considered him for a few seconds. She examined his dishevelled hair, his cheery face, and his silver hair with black streaks. His eyes... something about his eyes had been different now than it had been the previous day around this time. Even just before he had completed the spell and activated the communicator.

"Did I say the wrong thing?"

His uncertain words drew her out of her reverie and she turned to hold his gaze again. "No, no. That was a reason, yes. I could tell what was happening to you was affecting her, too." She paused; it was no use darting behind bushes. She had to cut straight to the chase. Once she caught on to something, it was almost impossible for her let it go. "Mithra and you... is she your kham?"

To her enormous surprise, Norin threw back his head and laughed.

"No, no," he said. "Not at all. I see you've recognised the bond we share, but it's not a kham bond. We're destined to be Sanguinous fratus."

"Oh." A wave of relief washed over Cassandra. "How different is it, though?" She could feel her own kham bond forming with Teresa the minute she'd set eyes on her. She could feel a lot of what Teresa felt, understood her on a more deeper level than anybody else without a kham bond with her could feel, perhaps even more than the bond of a child with its parents. Nobody knew the full extent and impact of a kham bond, so it was better not to underestimate it. Sometimes, if one of two people in a kham bond died, the other could die, as well, however healthy they may be.

It was now Norin's turn to study her as she contemplated. She could practically feel the magical energy exuding from him, renewed and ready to rumble.