Chapter 27 - Pandora's Box

When I was a child, I dreamed of my happily ever after; it was the one thing I yearned for, but it wasn't like those silly fairy tales; I wasn't interested in being the Princess in a castle saved by a Prince. I didn't want untold fortune and bestowed wishes brought down on me. I don't believe in fairy tales or absurd echoes of destiny. I simply wanted to settle down, have a family, children of my own, and a place to call home. When everyone was asked what they wanted, I would hear the boys talk about being knights and adventures, explorers and doctors. So when I was asked what I wanted to be when I was older, telling them nothing would make them laugh.

I never understood what was so funny about that. I mean, so what if I don't have any grand plan, a dream to chase or an objective to overcome? This isn't a silly fairy tale. Those sorts of stories don't play out.

So when I met you, I thought everything I could possibly want was right there. You were the person of my dreams; I couldn't think of anything else than spending the rest of my life with you; damn what anyone else thinks. But then Gojo found us, then Doran Skee separated us, and we were divided. Beowulf, Sukuna, and Cursed Spirits far and wide, among many others, stood between us and that happily ever after. And we overcame it together. But this isn't that kind of story.

There is no happy ending.

We don't live happily ever after.

This was how it was always going to go.

This is how my story ends. This is the story of how I die.

****

Cyneric turned his head in complete shock as Itadori had broken through with enough force to shatter Domain; Cyneric chose to simply drop the Domain, disposing of the Cursed Spirit attached to it. "Sukuna's Vessel."

"Y/N!"

Cyneric turned around, seeing DK floating above him teary-eyed; she held her blood scythe by her side.

"Bloody Mary. It's been 500 years."

"It has, and this time I will take back what's mine. Let's end this once and for all, Kronos."

"Oh, you mean this?" Cyneric taunted, holding up the Prison Realm, stepping back, arms out. "You want it, come and get it."

Itadori wasted no time, launching himself at Cyneric with lightning speed. His fists blurred as he delivered a barrage of punches, but Cyneric was ready, dodging and weaving with a grace born of countless battles. Grabbing Itadori's arm, he pulled me aside, leaning against his back and grinning. "Sukuna couldn't defeat me; what hopes do you have, weakling?"

Itadori spun around, punching Cyneric back as he blocked the attack, shaking his arms and seeing no damage dealt. While Itadori and Cyneric were forced into the ultimate close-quarter brawl, DK was keeping her distance, focusing her energy and manipulating her blood into deadly projectiles. With a flick of her wrist, she sent streams of crimson hurtling towards Cyneric, forcing him to stay on the defensive.

Cyneric glanced at this attack, smirking, simply allowing the attack to cut him down, embracing the quick death. With a smirk, he unleashed his Chaos Techniques, the stolen powers of the Cursed Spirits within him. Death Proxy lingered on his breath as one of the Cursed Spirits he had imprisoned inside him took the fatal blow meant for him. In an instant, a corpse that looked precisely like Cyneric appeared where he had been standing, while the real Cyneric launched a devastating counterattack. Holding the corpse, he threw it at Itadori, who pushed it aside, punching him.

Cyneric held his hand forward with an open palm, forcing another Cursed Spirit to give him a Cursed Technique.

"Chaos Technique Deadman's Counter."