Chapter 3: The Item Store

I was laying on the floor, still trying to catch my breath. The last ten minutes or so since the mist reached us at the collapsed tunnel we had been running as fast as we could. My clothes were damp from my sweat and I could feel my legs burning with pain.

'Thank God I made it', I thought to myself. 'It was not a moment too late.'

I looked at Captain Toad. He was one of the most famous explorers of the Mushroom Kingdom. His main expertise lay in archaeology and ancient history and he was always busy with some project or another. We had seen each other a couple of times out in the Mushroom Kingdom during adventures and formal occasions. It made me feel good that at least some people had made it.

'What did you say?', I asked Captain Toad.'

I asked if you knew where Mario is', he replied.I had to think about that for a moment. Last time I saw Mario, he had smiled at me and ran into the mist. I didn't know how long ago this was now, as the time had slipped away from me. Was it half an hour or an hour? Three hours? More? I didn't know how long I was out the first time.

'I don't know where he is', I replied. 'When the attack began, he was with me at home. We ran outside to see what happened and we then joined a crowd of people to watch the airship. We saw the Parakoopas attack the airship and then the red mist came. Mario took a star out of his backpack and then ran into the mist. I have no idea where he is or how far he made it.'

'I hope he is okay', Captain Toad replied. 'This attack isn't like anything I have seen before, but I know that Mario will save us.'

'Thank you, Captain Toad', I replied.

'And you, with the markings?', Captain Toad asked the Paratroopa. 'What is your name?'

The Paratroopa was standing by the door that we had just come through. He was inspecting the doorway and checking if any mist came through. He had already filled a couple of small holes with some material to plug it up. When he heard Captain Toad talk to him, he turned around.

'My name is Sergeant Koops of the Paratroopa Elite - or what's left of it...',' Sergeant Koops said.

'My God!' Captain Toad replied. 'Were you one of the Paratroopas that fought the airship?'

'Yes, I was.', Sergeant Koops replied. 'I flew just past the cannon as it began with the mist. My squadron wasn't so lucky.'

'What happened up there?', I asked him.

'I don't know', Sergeant Koops replied. 'They didn't even send out a mayday, they just fell out of the sky. The other squadrons flew in to attack the cannon, but they also fell hopelessly to the ground. I then ordered the remaining squad members to abort the attack and to retreat. The mist blocked my escape route back to Daisy's Military Base and forced me to land. Here I saw the villagers heading into the tunnels and figured that that would be my best chance for survival. I thought that, with enough people, I could start a counter attack. I just hoped it would be more than you three. But at least it's something.'

'You are lucky to survive', Captain Toad replied. 'I saw the battle from the square. It looked intense.'

'I had worse ones', Sergeant Koops replied. 'Besides, it didn't work in the end.'

'We will figure something out', I replied.

'We sure will', Captain Toad answered. 'How about you, in the corner? Who are you?'

The castle guard was still crying. He was sitting with his back against the wall and with his head resting on his knees. I realised just now for the first time how young this castle guard looked. He finally raised his head with tears in his eyes.