04- Dragon Mourning

I looked at the pages of my book while feeling the strain of my bloodshot eyes due to sleep deprivation

I looked at the pages of my book while feeling the strain of my bloodshot eyes due to sleep deprivation. Surrounding me were numerous wooden bowls filled with uneaten food that had been sitting there for three days or more.

Daelyra entered the room holding yet another bowl, her expression filled with concern. "Khalakki, you have to eat, you're throwing off weight, your hair's falling out. You look horrible..." She said before trailing off.

"I'm fine," I murmured quietly while turning the page of my book. "No, don't give me that shit! I'm not easy to fool unlike everyone else. I can see straight through your little facade," she shouted angrily, snatching the book from my hands.

"If I have to force you to eat, I will. You're a kind soul and I refuse to watch you waste away from neglect." She helped me stand and carefully removed my clothing before gently guiding me into the bathtub. I sat there in silence, feeling numb, as she grabbed the fresh bowl of food and positioned the spoon at my lips.

I hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether to accept the food, but eventually let her feed me. It was a strange sensation, being taken care of in such a way, and as I looked up at her, I could see the concern in her eyes.

"Do you think he deserved it?" she asked after a moment of hesitation. "No one should meet their end in such a brutal manner, but it's undeniable that your brother was not the nicest of people. You know that," she added, nodding in agreement as she gave me another spoonful of food.

Swallowing hard, I lowered my gaze to my hands, feeling conflicted and unsure of how to process the information. I looked at Daelyra with a heavy heart. "My sisters think that the only reason I care is because he groomed me. Do you think so?"

In response, she reassured me, explaining that she didn't believe my feelings were influenced by him being my brother or lover. Instead, she believed it was the shift in my perspective towards him, which was likely a result of the grooming.

"Tell me, when did he show interest and how old were you two?" As she set down the bowl, I reflected on her words and thought back to the initial signs of his interest. Recalling those memories made me realize how young and vulnerable I was at the time, highlighting the complexity of the situation.

"He kissed me, I was 7 and he was 14..." Through this conversation, I began to understand the impact of his behavior on my perception of him and how it had influenced my feelings towards him.

"It's true, isn't it? He groomed and abused me, leading me to now have some kind of fucked up mentality." I sought solace in Daelyra's embrace, tears streaming down my face as I rested my head on his chest.

"You bear no responsibility for what happened, Khalakki. You were just vulnerable and innocent like any other child." Daelyra held me in a tight grip, comforting me with gentle rubs on my back.