4.5 Cuts Like A Blade

As the tide of the night turned into day, Giovanni returned to the riverside on their own. The morning was somehow quieter than the night, and the river's flow was as beautifully uninterrupted as they had remembered. Giovanni took in the scene around them: the forest was some few steps away from the edge of the water, little mushrooms that could not glow in the sunlight were trickled anywhere one's foot might land. Into the forest, the world became black for the height of the trees rid the visibility of the sky. Deeper within, Giovanni saw only the bare illumination of larger mushroom, until it all faded into shadows.

Elfirnn, is it? Giovanni thought, their gaze distant. It's a pretty name for a tucked away town... But, I've never heard of a land where the mushrooms glow. They looked upon the water that they stood so closely to. What do they call the river?

They took to their knees, and reached to touch the water's surface, they could not forget the strange feeling it gave them previously. Something is odd here. Before they could, a voice called out; "Giovanni, good morning!"

Giovanni stood, hoping they hadn't been watched for too long. Thus, there he is. The Pure Blooded one... The one, the first. I feel no irritation when he is near, however. It is strange- does he feel differently, in himself? Maria had said the other twin was not touched of the Blood at all. Does he know of his brother's condition?

Daraen crossed the narrow stone bridge as he waved to them. They imitated his gesture, and looked past him to find he had brought his brother. Giovanni's hand fell.

Why does he attend you! Giovanni held themselves from any expression of their frustration. As they watched the two approach, Jareth abruptly halted himself fore he had crossed.

"I've elsewhere to be," Giovanni heard him say.

Daraen was startled; "Jareth, you do n-"

"I heard my name called," he said.

"Who would call to you?" Daraen questioned.

Jareth turned, but Giovanni saw his eyes pass over them as he left. "I'd best see," Jareth replied, and he had gone.

That is... humiliating, Giovanni thought, and felt a heat to their face that they cursed immediately. Here I had thought I ceased to care whence my presence was misliked. For all my time at home, I believed myself accustomed to glances and silent, quick partings. A fool I am to hope for difference, here.

"Good morning, then," Giovanni spoke, gaining Daraen's attention again.

"I wondered where you might have gone," he said, his good manner returned as he neared Giovanni.

"Not far, sir," they said. "Had you reason to find me?"

"I wished for Jareth to..." He did not continue. "I suppose I wanted to see you were welcomed. I'm sorry, that must be a foolish question after knowing Jareth's nature."

"Oh, no," Giovanni said lightly, "he makes the fool of naught but himself. I am quite welcomed by those of whom do not prefer my company."

"How do you mean?" Daraen asked.

He asks, and I have no answer. Why should I be the wounded? "Nothing, darling. Your welcome is felt. I was simply here to admire your town. This river," Giovanni said, "how do we call to it?"

"Call it? It is a river, I suppose we..."

"That is," Giovanni corrected him, "is it titled?"

"No." An embarrassment flushed Daraen's face. "Now that you say, I wonder why it is not named. It is simply the water that flows from the Yddrain, there are no others, thus..."