7 Stay Down Beneath

With the start of the morning, Maria had sought Viehn by way of her chambers, to which the Lady readily invited her to await within.

"You must have risen with the dawn, Lady Maria," Viehn said kindly as she had stepped aside the door to allow Maria's entry.

"I find no reason to lie about." Maria was distracted by the fine room afforded to the knight; a large trunk had sat at the foot of a grandly decorative bed, perhaps something meant for a visitor of utmost importance- such as the town had likely never seen. A table had been set under the window, much like the display of Maria's own chamber, two chairs accompanied it. Upon which sat a small journal, alike to that of which Giovanni had. With it was ink, perhaps provided by the inn keeper for her benefit, but the Lady had few of her own materials around it.

"That is sensible," Viehn replied, and she continued about her morning's tidings. She regarded Maria as she brought her hair about her shoulder to begin in a braid. "I love to linger, when I can... However, I do so enjoy the sunrise. I am pleased to have your company alongside."

"Thus am I." Maria changed her gaze for the window.

"My Lady, I wonder," Viehn said, and Maria paid her attention. "What might you like?" 

"As in, my..."

"Your interests, Maria," Viehn said, she smiled easily to her in a way the Lady could not find the heart to return. "I've seen you about with your blade or a book, but... I'm certain you've many things to pass your time when we are not otherwise bound to our tasks."

"Whence it were, long ago, Giovanni had allowed me to live in their home. Their gardens were vast. We would walk together for the afternoon until the evening to collect flowers, or foods- whichever- to have upon the table of their kitchen." Viehn listened. "Years have passed since last I've seen their garden. I find I miss the flowers most of all."

"Which does my Lady prefer?"

A word did first come to Maria's mind, a name she dared not to speak. One of which to reflect the flower, and elsewise what lacked to her dearly. "It has been some time since I have seen roses."

"Shall you wish for them to be yellow, my Lady, I should excuse myself this very moment..." Viehn finished with the tie of her hair. Maria looked to the floor, but found she must have appeared no more composed than one with Giovanni's heart.

"It has been some time since I've only favored those to be red. Would you not agree?"

Viehn, for hardly the barest moment, seemed surprised of her response. "Undoubtedly," she said. After she spoke, she did not let away her gaze. "Maria," she began, with a pointed lack of title. "I think that there is something I must say, for I find to keep it pressed any longer to the depths of my mind should make me a liar to continue as I have."

Please, god, speak as I wish you might, Maria thought, though she was only silent. I cannot say it. I cannot, not myself.

She had stepped closer, and Maria's eyes fell upon her long hair, how its braid fell with not delicacy, but a sort of intentional elegance between her arm and the height of her chest. "If you'll allow me to forget where we are, and... what happens about this town for only a moment, I'll beg you allow me speak my mind."

"I should pray you do," Maria said, quieter.

"I'm taken of a interest that arrives if only by your presence aside mine. Something so mere, and yet, I am enamored. I cannot say it is by any matter so clear as your strength, the control to your self and your speech, or..." she smiled, "of course, my Lady is beautiful. But to say beauty alone does inspire me so much that I simply cannot look away... would be too little. You'll forgive me, it seems I can hardly find my words. It is not my eye alone that wishes for you to meet me someplace mutual."