12.5 Please, Please, Please

an: had a thought... giovanni almost hardly says jareth's name, whereas he says their name almost every single time he speaks to them... is that pedantic, or was i cooking.... jk its pedantic and im re-editing. maybe hes just down horrendous and i projected. also u can insert youtube videos into these?? slay

In the common room where diners took their midday meals, Maria and Lady Viehn sat closely to the fire for the sky had begun to darken, taking along with it the morning's warmth. Upon entry, Jareth could see them at a distance: the knight's hand was writing sharply across a page, and Maria was beside her with the sheathe of what he knew now to be her broadsword across her knee. He thought of a book of swords and their makers he had once read. Maria's sword likened more to a claymore, and what strength it did take one to wield... He sighed against the thought, he would never hold one like it, in any matter.

A monster of a weapon for a woman all the same. Serves her well.

As their backs were turned, he took a longer route beside the kitchen's bar, and upwards of the stairs beside it so as not to be confronted.

The stair creaked as though it were centuries old as Jareth climbed to the second landing, and as he came about the floor, a door had opened nearby.

Fuck, no...

Alfred had appeared out of a room in which he locked behind himself. He turned, and though Jareth thought to retreat, it was too late to be avoided.

"Hello, sir," Alfred said, his eyes upon Jareth as he approached.

"Yes, hello," Jareth replied curtly. He said nothing more as he halted at a distance to Alfred.

"Might you seek Lady Viehn?" Alfred asked.

"The Lady is downstairs."

"Then it is there I must go," Alfred said, and smiled for the sake of amiability to the reserved young man.

"Very well. Good day," Jareth said, and stepped out of the way of the stair for Alfred to pass. He utterly detests me... Jareth thought as he watched Alfred descend, and sought Giovanni's room.

-

The strangest boy alive, Alfred thought as he entered the inn's commons, and searched the dimmest corners for Maria. He found her where he had expected to; by the hearth, and in the high-backed chair under a shuttered window out of which rain began to fall. The Lady Knight was at the table beside her, entranced in writing what he imagined must be their travel itinerary.

"My Lady," he spoke as he approached, and at last she raised her head to regard him.

"Alfred," Viehn said, a handsome smile came to her face as her hand ceased its motion. "Do join me if you wish, sir, but I cannot be enjoyable company as of now." She looked back down, and continued to write. "Nor is my Lady." She gestured to Maria without raising her head. "One must be quiet for she has found the courage to sleep."

Alfred saw, then, Maria did truly fall to sleep with the sword about her body in plain sight, though he knew the innkeepers had since become accustomed to her ways. Bizarre, they thought her- but equally harmless- this woman who bore a sword near to her own height in length, made of iron as broad as one's leg. Alfred took the chair across from Viehn, and watched as she worked.

"You have known Maria long?" Viehn said, her eyes yet upon her page.

"Not very," Alfred said. "It was ten years earlier that we met, and five before now that I had last seen her."