9 A Dream of Arms Around Me

"This is ridiculous, Maria," Alfred said, raising the lantern to each shelf as its dim light could hardly illuminate the book's spines. "Did they not say this library had burned?"

"The library burned, this is the archive," she said curtly. "I've told you this. All we seek is one fucking map..."

"I know," he said, his own tone growing impatient. "I doubt it is here, and I doubt either Daraen or his brother understand why we need find this tree at all. I feel I've lost my way as well."

"Alfred," Maria breathed with an irritation, "I know why. If you've come here, you should know why."

"Right, yes, Giovanni said it may be a Spring."

"What more had Giovanni told you?"

He raised his lantern aside Maria's, for she seemed to take interest in a shorter book. "Tithes are given at the Springs- what does it say?"

"A book of recipes..."

"Precious," he dismissed.

"And wouldn't a tree- in which is harrowed as divine, lost to myth and legend, but supplies all water and life to these people- be the most excellent place in which to even begin to wonder if it might have any significance to the Blood?" Maria said, warily. "That is why I want that map. Should a well exist just beyond the gates in which makes for my head to ache of its Curse, then, we are finding this tree. Has is been so long that you do not remember that pretty little room in your own home? The mural upon the ceiling did feature a well just the same."

"Yes..." Alfred said. "Do you suppose that must be why this one is boarded over?"

"No. They told me," Maria said, "those boys; they said it was for the reason a girl had fallen in and died, when they were children."

"Fallen in..." Alfred repeated. "What became of her, do you think? Might her body have been retrieved?"

Maria looked to him, and despite the darkness, he could feel her weariness. "Likely not. If it were, they would have questioned what happened to its blood."

"And tithes are given to the Springs," Alfred said, as if only to hear it for himself. "Maria, how horrible..."

Maria and Alfred similarly lowered their lanterns, and she put her hand over her eyes as if exhausted. "One hopes the Spring will return Pure Blood into whichever vessel- one's Key- is designated for a Holder. For you, that was the book your father kept. He must have been zealous, though, for he was able to trace some into that ring of yours. If a sacrifice is rejected, the Cursed is borne, and that cannot be tamed as easily as channeling unto books or stones, or..." Eyes, she thought. "Your father played with both. The Pure was in his Key, but the Cursed in his body. Thus, the monster we had seen."

"How can that be? I thought that was the effect of the Pure. If it had worked for him so well for him enough to create one Key, and some into another, then..." Alfred realized Maria's meaning. He was zealous.

"That was not Pure, what changed him," Maria said. "I do not think I'll ever know what power that book held." She glanced to Alfred. "Do you wish to discover that?"

"N-no," Alfred said. "No, I will live happier never knowing."

"Hm..." Maria's regard stayed. "Giovanni might be more than elated to pull it out of their Doors, and give you such an answer. Perhaps, they could give it to you. You've already lost some decades of your life, what is a few more?"

"I do not want that. That is no power," Alfred whispered. "The power to die quicker than one is intended. It is a curse in itself, to wield the end of your own life."