19 How Soon Is Now?

The children, there, Viehn saw upon a thick root that arched to the height of her waist nearby the tree's base. Lifeless.

Her heart brought an ache to her head; I've failed their parents, the town... No, there is more yet to be done- it is their right to be returned. Her eyes shifted; Where has the council gone? Viehn raised her head above the root she hid behind.

She glanced back to find Maria watched her with a fiercely severe intent. She nodded somewhat noncommittally to the Lady, as if to say all were clear. Viehn waved her hand in an attempt to relay that all is well; she will approach. She saw as Maria's hand clutched to the vines, but Alfred appeared by her side; he spoke something shortly, and Maria, heavily reluctant, laid down her hand. She spoke back to Alfred without the loss of her gaze upon Lady Viehn.

At last, she stood fully in view of the tree. Not a person was to be seen, save the children. The roots grew tall and twisted about the base of the Yddrain and the rocks to surround it, she glanced to where the river could be found at its backside.

It had been days since they last heard its flow, and though it always seemed nearby, the trail they followed never led to its banks, nor its crossing. This must be its source, Viehn thought, and started in a run towards the children. Should I follow it, will I find myself in Elfirnn? She held tightly to the sword at her side as she traversed the tree's terrain. It was bright there, unlike anywhere before in the forest, as the tree gave its own light to the world.

She halted as she reached to the first child, and lifted their incredibly frail, pale hand. She is bloodless! Is there a god to help me? Who has drained this child of their life, and chose to take even more!

None of the children were over eight years of age, their parents had told her in the beginning of her time in Elfirnn- now, their youth appeared the greatest tragedy. Their lives are gone all too soon, she thought. They should be running through the market, gathering flowers, and granting them to their friends... They should have had the right to grow to the age of Daraen and his brother, and far beyond. Their parents will never meet their own children as adults, and yet, it is by the greed of ones so much their elder that they are deprived. Their greatest trust should have been in that of their town's leaders.

"Who is there?" a voice came, that of a man's. Viehn stepped away from the children, and drew her blade immediately.

"Julien," she replied steadily, putting a distance between herself and the root. Julien came around, and he wore the robes their council did whenever they had addressed the town or gathered in secrecy- red. "Come here," Viehn demanded, and a moment later, two more men were revealed from behind him.

"My Lady..." Julien breathed, as if in disbelief at her presence. "Y-you are here?" She looked to the men around him: one was taller than him with greying hair, and skin so pale it seemed he must have equally been drained of his blood. The other kept his face turned, for the hood had been pulled over his head, and he stayed at a distance. Viehn looked to his hands: his skin was a dark brown, and they trembled with nerves that the other two did not show.

"I know you," Viehn spoke to the one to evade her. "Arnon. You sold to me my journals. You were the kindest one to help me when first I arrived."

He glanced to her, but looked away frightfully. "L-Lady Viehn, I'm sorry," he stammered, "I wanted to help, I did-"

"Quiet!" Julien shouted at him, and Arnon held his tongue. "Wanted to help? We all helped her; it was her incompetence that could not be."

"You forget yourself," Viehn countered. "I was employed by a dog, and forced to step around his shit." The taller man made to move, but Viehn found herself at his same height, and with the draw of her blade to the center of his chest, he cowered even lower. "You dare approach me? What is this?" Viehn threw her hand to the children, "I should have your head staked upon my sword this very moment, only I'll allow your explanation, though I cannot imagine it will help you."