Breakdown

"I swear at some point I'll be on time, tonight is not the night though." Reneé says as she gets in the car.

"It's fine. I'll get you there safe." I assure her and I swear I can see a light blush tint her cheeks as I close the door behind her as she climbs in.

The car ride there were both quiet as usual, but the tension that was once there has vanished. This is almost... pleasant.

"Uh don't stick around tonight. I have a friend bringing me home." She explains as I let her out to go to her party.

"Yes ma'am." Keep it professional Quinn.

She heads inside and I'm left with my thoughts for the rest of the evening. What to do, what to do?

I head to a nearby overlook and call my brother.

"Hello?"

"Hey Reed..." I mutter out nervous.

"What's up? How's LA been treating you? How's school?" My older brother asks. God I've missed him.

"It's fine... don't tell mom or dad but uh, I dropped out after the first semester. May have gotten arrested for illegal street racing, but got out of any consequences other than paying fines. I also got a job to pay said fines." I half joke with him.

"You know they're gonna be pissed when they find out... can't believe you dropped mechanical engineering for fucking street racing. Are you at least happy?" He asks trying to smooth over the fact he's actually pissed at me.

"Yes and no. Just been, lonely since I broke up with Jade. Like she's cute and all, but she just wasn't it for me..." I explain.

"That's fair. How's Wren?" He asks.

I internally smile knowing they both like each other. But neither one of them will bite the bullet and make the first move. "She's good, asked about you the other day."

"Oh?" I can literally hear his shyness through the phone. It's cute.

My phone beeps letting me know I have an incoming call. "I've gotta go, I'll call you again soon." Not leaving him any room to reply before answering my next call.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Reneé. I know I have you the night off... but my plans changed. Would you be willing to pick me up in say... an hour?" She asks, nervous.

"Sure, I'll be there."

"Thank you." And with that, the line goes dead.

I get back in the car and head towards the city, making a pit stop on the way to pick up a snack and some water.

Once I get to the destination I shoot Reneé a text to let her know I'm here.

Moments later I'm joined by her presence. "Thank god, I was over being critiqued and criticized... can you take me home please." She asks politely.

"Yes ma'am." I say as I begin towards her house.

About halfway there the suburban stalls out with zero power. "Fuck me." I use what rolling inertia I had going on to pull off to the side of the road.

"Stay in the car."

I hop out, grab my flashlight and check under the hood to see what might be wrong.

I hear a pair of heels get closer. "I thought I told you to stay in the car... it's dangerous for you to be standing out here with traffic going by." I explain.

"Mmm the same applies to you though." She notes.

"No, it doesn't. Look if you're going to stay out here with me, just hold this please." I hand her the flashlight. "I have to grab my bag from the back."

I grab my bag from the trunk and head back to the front of the car.

"So what's wrong with it?" Reneé asks.

I grab a few tools to replace a wiring harness. "The wiring leading from the starter solenoid to the battery is damaged, just needs to be replaced." I explain.

She hums in response. "And you know how to do all that?"

I get to work on replacing it. "Uh yeah, my dad is a mechanic... we moved around a lot with the company he works for... but he used to take me to work with him and I got to sit in on him teaching and working on cars."

"Oooo baby's got some skills! Does your family live around here?" She nudges me lightly and I blush at her comment.

"Hah no, they live in Colorado. I moved out here with my best friend for college. She stayed enrolled, I didn't." I say as I toss the old wiring harness in my bag.

"Why'd you dip out?" She presses.

"I was on probation at school because I got into some trouble. I hated being taught stuff I already knew, and I just didn't want it anymore." I explain, tightening up the last few bolts. "Alright, let's see if she starts."

I turn the key in the ignition and the suburban roars back to life. "Nice going Q." Reneé grins.

"Thanks." I feel myself blush yet again. I grab my bag and toss it back in the back. "Let's get you home."

a/n: do we want a RR POV soon? 👀 be warned, it's gonna be cheesy.

Ok bubs, what's a bad habit that you have? I'll go first, I self sabotage when something is going good.