Loser

*Reneé's POV*

As Quinn and I wait in line for our turn on the go-kart track she turns to me. "So... what do I get if I win?" She playfully nudges me.

"Who says you're going to win?" I look at her through my lashes, a sly grin on my lips.

"Bold of you to assume I wouldn't." She says with her eyebrow raised and a smirk tugging at her lips.

She's cocky, and with the way she's looking at me right now, I want her to kiss me. "If you win, maybe you'll get a second date." I wink at her.

"Oh?" Her cheeks blush and she avoids my gaze for a moment before regaining her composure. "I guess I'll just have to win then..." she challenges, taking a step towards me. "And what would you want if you were to win love?" She asks as her eyes search mine, as if she could ever figure me out.

"A third date." I say biting my lip.

Quinn gives me a puzzled look. "Wait, but... that would imply..."

"There's going to be a second date. I mean, only if you want there to be a second date. I would very much like to have a second date with you, but I also don't want you to feel pressured like you have to say y-" I ramble out of nervousness but she cuts me off by taking my face in her hands and kissing me.

"I said I'd go anywhere with you didn't I?" She says pulling away. Wait no, put your lips back on mine, I wasn't done tasting you.

"I mean yeah, you did but-"

"I'd like to go on a second date with you Reneé." She says, kissing me once more. Before I can formulate a response of any kind she pulls away again, only this time it's our turn for the track. "Prepare to be left in the dust Rapp." Quinn gives me a wink as she picks a kart.

I hop into the one next to her and giggle. "Bless your heart Duvall, you think you're gonna win."

~~~~

True to her word, she did indeed leave me in the dust. But not before we got into trouble for making each other spin out and crash into the barriers.

"You've got to tell me how you whipped around me so fast during that last turn!" I nudge her as we walk.

"A racer never tells their secrets." Quinn holds her hands up and grins.

"Oh so you're a bonafide racer now huh? One go kart date with your girlfriend and that's all it took?" I chuckle out.

I feel her arms wrap around my waist. "Girlfriend?" She questions, I really was hoping to sneak that in there and she'd roll with it.

"It kinda just slipped out..." I admit as I bite my lip.

I hear her sigh and it hurts to hear that. "I don't do well with relationships... but, let's see how dates two and three go and we'll go from there?" She kisses my cheek before letting me go and walking ahead towards the car.

Not gonna lie that stung a little bit. "So you're fine going on dates but what? I don't get your aversion to relationships." I press her as I hop in the passenger seat.

As we pull out she speaks. "I've only ever been in a couple serious relationships, all of which were before I moved out here. The last one... he was emotionally controlling and I was hella attached because of it. Everything he put me through fucking hurt like hell, and so once I was free of him I promised myself I wouldn't ever get attached to anyone ever again." She explains, vulnerable and exposed.

"You say that like you've never told anyone that before." I note.

"I haven't. Not even Wren. She just helped me leave my ex in the first place after witnessing him manipulating me over and over. I changed everything about myself because I didn't want to ever end up in that situation again."

I pick at the polish on my nails. "I get that, not wanting to be in a certain situation ever again."

Quinn reaches over and places her hand on my thigh. Her mixed signals are giving me whiplash. "I like you Reneé, a lot more than I let on. I'd like to go on dates with you and maybe even see where this goes. I just... I wanna take this slow." There she goes being vulnerable again.

"Sure, we can go slow baby." I place my hand over hers and she gives my thigh a squeeze.

"You're not like any of my ex's and you deserve the best my love." Quinn picks up my hand and brings it to her lips and places a gentle kiss on my knuckles.

I don't know whether to think her confession to be sweet or to be a red flag. Either way, I'm completely enamored by her, her confidence, and self awareness.

a/n: I know it's been a hot minute, I've been out of town for work, training new people, filling in at work. Bruh I barely have time to eat! Buuuuuuut gotta keep my bubbies fed 🥰 enjoy. Love you bubbies 💕