Chapter 7: Announcements

Y/N pov:

I woke up back in my room. Malison was sitting at the foot of the bed, tending a comforting fire. I sat up, untangling the f/c sheets. The sun was pouring in through the massive windows. I was still was cold inside the draft castle.

Malison smiled and walked to my side. "Good afternoon, your highness. How are you feeling?"

"Fine, thanks."

"Your parents requested to see you once you woke up."

"I'm guessing they already know what happened."

"Yes, your highness."

Sluggishly, I got to my feet before collapsing into Malison. She was stronger than I thought, not even faltering with my weight.

"Myself and the royal seamstress were worried about your recovery, so I had them make a practical dress for you." She led me to my closet and pulled out a modest dress. It was absolutely beautiful. It had a white bodice with puffy sleeves and a long, flowing f/c skirt.

While all my clothes were personally tailored, this was the first that felt personal to me. It fit my frame perfectly. Malison threw my hair into a messy, yet still formal bun. A simple black chain hung from my neck. Malison smiled and escorted me to the throne room.

Slim braziers were attached to one side of each of the six columns. They covered the hall with a warm glow. The walls were covered in tapestries depicting the end of the famous Epibrenen expansion, while statues and memorials look down upon the stone floor of the lavish hall. Two adorned thrones sat beneath an impressively decorated canopy, which was adjoined by a few plain seats for the royal advisors.

I've visited the throne room countless times and am always impressed and astounded by it.

My parents were sitting on their thrones and waited for Malison to leave before addressing me.

"We have many things to discuss, but first, are you alright?" My father's voice echoed across the hall.

"Yes father."

"I should've guessed the Society would attempt something like this. It's quite fortunate you retreated while you had the chance. Access to the royal bloodline would be very prosperous for them."

"Actually, a stranger threw me out of the carriage."

King Dolerent stroked his h/c beard and his e/c eyes, looking at his queen. "Did they reveal themselves?"

"No."

"Then there's nothing we can do."

"But, father, they saved my life. They deserve some rewa-."

"Y/n!" Queen Reia's voice thundered, "Princesses don't disobey their fathers."

"Thank you, Reia." He said holding her pale hand.

"B*tch." I thought as I glared at her. Her brown hair was dripping with gold and diamonds, and her cold, dark eyes had no soul. "What happened to Lord Alexandre?"

"We don't know. The royal army has been searching for the Dragon's hideout for a considerable time. Dreadfully, he's most likely dead."

No, no, please. Just as I was reuniting with my friend, I went and get him killed. He didn't deserve that; I do. Tears started misting my e/c eyes.

Father looked at my shaking frame with pity. "Y/n, sit down. It was a noble sacrifice; he'll be honored for a long time."

The rough wooden seat only cleared my head briefly. Fat drops fell onto my lap. Father and Mother remained silent. My cries of pain filled the room, yet they held onto the uncomfortable quiet. My mind was stabbing me on the inside, yelling, pleading, begging, until it all stopped. The agony was replaced by something new. Something colder, determined.

Finally breaking the silence, I said. "What can we do to find him, if he is still alive?"

"I'm joyed you asked!" Queen Reia said, clapping her hands. Her rings sent loud chimes down the hall. "You've received a marriage proposal from the King of Forelsket. In exchange for your hand, King Dante promised to reveal the Dragon's lair. And combine the power of Epibreren and Forelsket."

Father smiled. "Isn't that good news?"

I honestly never considered the fact that I'd be used as a political tool. I should've known it would come one day. "Alexe needs you." I thought.

"Y/n? Aren't you happy?"

"Yes, father, this is good news."

"Excellent! Now run off and prepare yourself; he will arrive for the banquet later tonight."

A/N: The second part of this chapter will be out soon!

A special thank you to those who voted; it means a lot to me!

Have a magical rest of your day, and thanks for reading.