Chapter 15: Privacy

Y/n's pov:

It's been three days.

Dante promised he'd visit me.

But he never did.

I don't know why, but I miss him, and I want to see him again. Maybe that's why I've been isolating in my room, waiting. I flinch every time a knock echo's off the door, but it's not him.

Malison's gone too.

A new handmaiden attends whenever I need. She doesn't talk, at least not to me.

My world has been silent.

Dante, Malison, Alexe—every friend is gone.

I'm alone.

Tap...Tap...Tap

The door again.

"Come in!" I shout.

Father walked into my room and opened the curtains. Sunlight poured through the widows. I shieled my face in a satin pillow to avoid the harsh light. The bed creaked as he sat next to me. "You've barricaded yourself in here for days now; hardly the behavior of the future queen."

He landed a comforting hand on my shoulder, a contradiction to his harsh tone. I could tell he was disappointed. I nodded grimly and started an apology before he interrupted. "I think it would be wise to inform you of the latest ordeals at the castle."

I looked at him, desperate for a clue about my friends. He continued, "Would you prefer the dark or lighthearted first?"

My head felt heavy. "Lighthearted, please."

He chuckled. "That was a trick question, cinnamon."

My cheeks turned red at the childish nickname; he hadn't called me that after his marriage to Reia. "Nothing at all?"

"Well, it depends on perspective. Dante has revealed the location of the Society and is leading a joint army in an ambush against them within the week. He's a very clever and brave young man."

My heart dared to hope. "Will he find Alexe?"

"Most likely."

"That's excellent news, father!"

"The Society's fortress is apparently extremely well defended; I fear this will be a very difficult and terrible battle."

My heart sank again. What if he was hurt and taken? What's the cost of victory? Or defeat? How many lives will be given? The Society has to be dealt with, but is this our only option?

"You always were quick to debate yourself, cinnamon."

A breathy laugh escaped me. The sun finally adjusted to my eyes. "What's our dark news?"

Father closed his eyes and put an arm around me. "Malison has been executed after standing guilty of collaboration with the Society and for the murder of Remy Silvestre."

No. That's impossible.

No...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...no...that can't be right. She would never.

Father refused to look at the anguish plastered across my face but held me tighter. "I know it's hard to comprehend, but it's the unfortunate truth."

My whole body started to shake.

My mind ran miles in seconds.

Father suddenly picked me up and carried me, just like when I was a kid. After mom died, he'd always carry me to the kitchen and made a cup of melted chocolate. With cinnamon, of course. The servants offered to prepare it, but nobody could make it quite like my dad.

He grunted and dropped me at the door frame. "Sorry, these old bones can't carry you anymore."

"It's okay." I grabbed his hand, and we walked in the direction of the kitchen. As we crossed the border of my chambers, I heard a soft click. My father was startled by my abrupt turn. My e/c eyes gazed at the room. A cold wind was blowing through an open window.

"Y/N, are you alright?"

A shudder went down my spine.

My heart was racing.

I glanced back; it was closed.

"Yes, I'm fine. I just thought I saw something."

A/n: Hi everyone! The picture above is how I think all the yanderes would look. Feel free to imagine otherwise!

Sorry for the filler chapter, I've had major writer's block this week. If anyone knows any tips to get over it, please let me know!

Thanks for reading! :)