Chapter 8: Proposal

Y/n's pov:

"Please Malison? It's such a beautiful dress."

She stared at me in disbelief. "You're going to meet your future husband tonight, and first impressions are everything. And do I even need to get into what your parents would say? This dress is for recovery, not royal banquets."

"But I'm still recovering; my head has been fuzzy all day." I annunciated this by falling dramatically onto my bed. "I feel quite faint."

"I don't know, your highness. I was instructed to make you look presentable."

"I think this is a beautiful dress and presents me quite well. It was tailor-made for me, has good-quality fabrics, and it's only going to be me, my family, Kind Dante, and some royal advisors. It's not a high-profile event."

"Okay. Fine, but at least let me fix your hair."

"Thank you, Malison!" I excitedly raced over to the vanity on the other side of the room.

"If I'm sent to the dungeons, I'm blaming you."

"I'll make sure that doesn't happen. I'm on sick release; King Dante will understand. Besides, I would rather show the real me to the King. No falsehoods between us."

Malison rolled her eyes. It's a relief for me, a way to breathe easier. Just hold on, Alexe. I'll do whatever it takes to find you.

The spring sunset rolled through the large open windows, casting warm shadows. The room appeared to be crowded, with people in fancy clothing bursting through the arches all around the room. The indoor balcony was also packed with people, including a young man in a military uniform diligently searching the marble floor below. "Must be a military advisor." I thought squeezing my way through the crowd. Two large, dark oak tables were at the center of the room, with my parents at the head. Many had already taken their seats as I approached my parents.

"Wow, there are certainly way more people than anticipated." I shouted to be heard over the noise.

A burst of pain pulsed through my wrist and head. My head felt heavy, and I could feel dizziness starting to kick in. I looked to see Mother's cold, boney hand was seizing my wrists. Her heavy rings dug into my skin, leaving red marks.

I tried to jerk away, but she pulled me forward. She then whispered in my ear, quietly so only I could hear, "You are a f*cking disgrace. This might be the most important night of your life. Your royal duty, and you look like a G*dam* peasant. It's fortunate the King hasn't arrived yet. Now go change this instant and tell Malison she'll be permanently dismissed."

"Please, mother, it was my fault; don't dismiss her. She's beholden to everything I say."

She crushed my wrist, but at this point, it was unanimated. Father looked away, permitting my pain. She glared at me, and before she spoke, a different voice interrupted.

"Your majesties, have you had the pleasure of being introduced to the head royal advisor of Forelsket, Salvino Advocati?"

She released me, and I unintentionally discharged a sigh of relief.

"I don't believe we have," said father. "How are you enjoying the evening, Salvino?"

I never heard his response; the young military advisor pulled me away from the scene. He led me to the back of the vast hall, where there were large bronze doors, and we quietly walked out. The soft breeze cleared my head, and the sky was painted pink. I was rarely permitted to visit the gardens; they were beautiful. Large trees cast refreshing shadows, and there were flowers as far as I could see. Thousands of colors dotted along the gravel path. He led me to a simple wood and copper bench and sat me down. He was on his knees before me, still holding and gently stroking my arm.

His black, short hair gently hung over his face. He had intense but tired red eyes, like he filled his nights pursuing some unknown future. Blush and light freckles were spread seductively across his cheeks and nose.

His black jacket fits him perfectly and indicates the highest rank in the Forelsket army. The eight buttons on his double-breasted jacket are all buttoned up, showing high levels of professionalism. It's surprising; he doesn't look any older than me; he must've been very successful to achieve high status at a young age. The jacket is tucked into a belt, which has the Forelsket seal. He's wearing pants that copy the style of the jacket, both in color and simplicity, and they make an ideal combination with his shoes. Intimidating black boots, still scarred with mud and blood. Ribbons, chains, and braided cords encircled him, representing every area and group of the military. He looked menacing and dangerous, but when our eyes met, I saw nothing but mirrors of love.

"Are you alright, miss?"

His voice sounded familiar, calm, and deep. Even a slight accent fell from his dialect. I tore my arm away, hiding it behind my back. "Have we met before?"

"Miss, please don't hide your pain from me. I've already saved you once before."

My eyes widened at the man from the city. I didn't know if I should thank him or yell at him. Part of me still blamed him for Alexe's abduction. As if to read my mind, he said, "Don't blame me. I saved you. Now we can save him."

"How!?"

"Simple, I know the hideout."

"How?! Epibreren's royal army has been searching for months now."

"My original plan was to partner with the Red Dragon Society to expand Forelsket. Until I met you, I always thought I'd marry for love, but I never thought she'd help my political endeavors too. Don't worry, darling; I have no intention of causing any harm to your kingdom."

"K-King Dante! Oh, why are you kneeling before me?"I exclaimed before joining him on the soft moss, "I should be bowing to you."

"I will not permit an angel like you to fall before me." He rose to his feet and offered his hand. "Can we walk around this forest?"

The sun had gone down, light coming from the small lanterns hung from posts. Our hands intertwined, and he led me down the path. One question was burning my mind: "Sir, what did you mean when you said you'd marry for love?"

"First, no formal names, please. I've been called those every day of my life; it's exhausting. Secondly, and please forgive me for this, I originally had no intention of marrying you until your display of kindness towards me. After that, I started constantly thinking about you. Your kindness, humbleness, laughter, voice, generosity, smile, intellect, your beauty. Everything is unparalleled. You're different from the princesses I've met; your dress is absolutely stunning, yet no monarch would wear it. Your beauty shines without the overused plaster of high society. You give away wealth, leaving you with only a small chain necklace. I love you. I want to know everything about you. Your hopes, dreams, desires, fears, shortcomings, and successes—I don't care, as long as I'm with you."

I subconsciously grabbed the chain around my neck and said, "So you don't expect me to be... typical. I must admit, I'm quite plain."

"I believe the opposite," he said, stopping under a magnolia tree. He gently let go of my hand and reached for its branches. "You're my angel."

He placed a flowering bud behind my ear. I could smell its bitter-sweet aroma. Was he serious about all this?

"You're quiet; was I too much?" He said, touching the side of my face, "You can tell me anything; don't hide."

"You love me? How do you know?"

A small laughter joined the wind. "Time will reveal angel. But as a promise to you, I have a gift."

He walked behind me, and I closed my eyes after his instruction.

"You can look now."

My eyes fluttered open. Around the small chain was a beautiful ring. A silver band with engraved wings.

"Dante, it's lovely. Thank you."

His eyes light up at the sight of my smile. "Now I believe we have a banquet to attend."

A/N: Thank you for reading. I recently found that people from six different countries are reading, and that's absolutely incredible. Thank you so much!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, because more like this will be coming soon :).