Chapter 9: Intrigue

Dante's pov:

It turns out royal advisors are f*cking useless no matter where I go. I've never been more bored by the prospect of marriage to Y/N.

Papers upon papers of work and contracts. And why must this drab, irritating, dim-witted, absurd old man be assigned to this? Every little detail from my upbringing to today was sloppily recorded. And it's h*llishly, agonizingly slow.

Hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours.

I've been at this palace for two f*cking weeks, and I have barely spoken to my angel. I want her to feel safe around me and to want to spend time with me. But every single day has to be occupied by hours and hours of wasted time. I just want to be near her.

"King Dante, the royal advisory would like to know of your relations to the Red Dragon Society. How did you come to the knowledge of their whereabouts? And why haven't you told us yet?"

Every word fell out of his mouth at a torturous pace. At least he finally asked a reasonable question. I expected this one. "I've been to quite a few of their meetings. It's quite embarrassing that you haven't found it yet."

"Are you mocking the royal army?"

"Absolutely not! Just those incompetent generals and advisors. The army itself is fine."

He was visibly angered by this, and he started writing faster than the west wind. Finally, some g*dam* progress. To taunt him more, I leaned back in my chair and said, "My marriage to my princess has promised me the utmost control of every military branch in Epibreren. Then some progress can be made towards our little problem. Forelsket and Epibreren all under my control."

He grabbed a new sheet of paper, scribbled for a minute, and put it inside his desk. The original sheets were folded and stamped with a seal. He looked up and smirked at me. "Well, your highness, I believe we are finished here."

I should've been overjoyed, but something about his tone was wrong. Allegations against me perhaps? His balled fist clutched the scroll with the royal seal. "May I see that document? Don't I need to sign my wedding interview?"

"I'm afraid that won't be necessary."

"Why?"

"King Dolent trusts me with his life; he doesn't need proof of our discussion."

"Very well. This document secures my marriage with Y/n?"

He avoids my eyes and walks past me. "Yes, of course. I'll bring it to the king's office immediately. He's currently managing foreign affairs, but I guarantee he'll see this before dusk."

The door closed behind me. One thing is certain: whatever that document contained is a threat.

I'll get rid of it; I have to.

And anyone who reads it.

Y/n's pov:

The halls were crowded. The influx of Forelsket visitors had left the servants in a mad rush at all times. More meals to cook, more beds to make, more horses in the stables, more servants rushing to get everything done. Luckily, they were too busy to notice me heading towards the royal offices. Until I ran into Remy Silvestre, one of the oldest advisors in our court. Our generations go back to the beginning of this empire. His bloodline always served as head assistant. Silvestre was educated alongside my father, and they developed a strong bond.

"Good afternoon!" I try to be polite to him, despite him never reciprocating.

He walks past, thoroughly ignoring me. "He must be busy." I thought. It is odd that he would carry his documents outside the office hall, especially ones with the royal seal. Normally, declarations were left in offices and moved to mandatory locations at the end of the day. To keep work organized.