Chapter Forty-One

They woke far too early that morning, laying together in bed, still half asleep as they drifted in and out of consciousness to the rustling of the trees outside. 

Eventually, Becca's alarm went off and she groaned, slightly hungover as she forced her eyes open, feeling feverishly warm as her head ached and the sour taste of alcohol coated her tongue.

She felt Freen's arm tighten around her as she hummed with annoyance, and Becca quietly laughed, dissolving into a yawn as she covered her mouth and then stilled with surprise, blinking owlishly at the ring she'd fallen asleep with on her finger.

"Oh, shit. I almost thought it was a dream."

Laughing against the back of her neck, Freen hummed with delight, a sleepy smile gracing her lips as she kissed the soft spot behind Becca's ear. 

"We're getting married," she said with smug satisfaction.

Rolling over so she was facing her, Becca squeezed Freen's cheeks and kissed her firmly before laughing against the warmth of her lips, that little of bubble of joy fighting against the tide of sadness that beat against her. Kissing her once more, Becca let out a soft sigh.

"I'm glad you think you'd unconsciously dream about marrying me though; at least it's not just me."

"Sometimes I think you are something I dreamed up," Becca softly admitted.

With a soft laugh, Freen reached up to trail a fingertip down Becca's brow and over the bridge of her nose, down to her lips before she traced their outline. 

"That almost sounds like silly fairytale stuff; careful."

Scoffing, Becca closed her eyes and nestled closer against Freen, allowing the moment to stretch on, wishing they could stay in that bed forever and let life bypass them. What she would've given to just exist exactly as they were for an eternity.

"What time is it?" Freen eventually whispered.

"Six-thirty."

"What time is breakfast?"

"Eight."

Humming pensively, Freen pushed herself up onto her elbow, "then let me make the most of my time with my fiancée."

Laughing loudly as Freen kissed her where she was ticklish, Becca wriggled beneath her and resolved to enjoy her morning. 

It would be the last good one for a while and she didn't want to spoil it by casting a pall over everything; she would cry later anyway, so why spend the whole day in tears?

They stayed in bed as late as possible before showering together, a lump getting stuck in Becca's throat at the casual intimacy of it as she ran her hands down the tanned expanse of Freen's back, memorising every freckle and muscle and bone. 

Dressing, they drove to their café, meeting Mind and Nam inside the cramped space and crowded around the table together.

"This is where you met?" Mind dubiously asked.

Grinning, Freen pointed to the table situated near the window. "Mhm, right there."

"She wouldn't stop talking," Becca laughed, "I had to give up on work entirely. Thankfully."

"Have you set a date yet?" Nam asked, raising her eyebrows excitedly.

"No," Becca laughed, "I haven't even processed it yet. Oh, God, I have to tell my mom."

Freen shifted at the mention of Rawee and climbed to her feet, pointing around at everyone, "breakfast is on me; the usual?"

Becca watched her join the queue to order, her face softening with tenderness as she answered Nam's questions about the wedding with helpless non-answers.