Chapter 5

I return to my room and as soon as I enter I lay myself in the bed. Solving this mister is more tiring than I expected it to be.
They're smart and it will be hard fool them.
How can you beat someone that is smarter than you and have more tools for winning? They have cameras, they can go everywhere around the hotel whenever they want, they're even stronger than us physically...How are we supposed to win?
They know we have zero possibilities so they're having fun by letting us play around but at the same time without letting us know anything. And if that's not enough they're making hints, probably fake, to messed up with our heads even more.
They're gonna use every method they have to make us give up.

My train of thoughts soon comes to an end as Sandy enters in my room. Her face is blank like she just saw a ghost or something and she's breathing heavily.
She mumbles something but it was too low for me to hear it.

«They enter in my room» she repeats louder.
My face soon becomes shocked.

«You're...you're joking right? They can't-»

«Come see»

She takes my arms and brings me to her room. I couldn't think clear, they're not supposed to entering in our room...I mean even the rules say that they can't unless there's some suspicious activity like drugs or arms trafficking.
But do they care? Of course not.

Her room doesn't even look like a normal room, everything is messed up. All the sheets of the bed are on the ground, the books are everywhere around the room, same for the things in her drawers.
Sandy left the book and the note in the room so they probably come here to search for them.

«Don't worry I'm gonna help you put everything in place»

We start cleaning the room, we make the bed again, put the books and her other things in their place. While we're cleaning we search for the note and the book but nothing, they found them and they took them.
Now they know what we already know and that makes things even more difficult.

«So Jamie wasn't spying on us just for seeing what we were doing but even for see if we moved away from the Casino»

They screwed us, we thought we were doing great and they ruined everything.

We write the notes again but this time we put a fake one in the hide place while the real one is in my pocket but then it hit us.

«What if they've put cameras in our room too?» Sandy said looking at me worried.

«Hm...I mean there's the possibility but if while we were cleaning we didn't notice anything then I don't think so»

There are two options: they put the cameras and they hide them very well or they didn't. The option two is the most probable but this situation still makes me feel anxious.
I can't stop thinking about giving up, I mean, Is there really a way to beat them? The only way would be thinking the same way as them but we can't even understand what is going on in their minds.
They're smart...and crazy and this doesn't help at all.

Sandy starts checking in the most hidden place of her room for her cameras but it seems like she hasn't found anything.
Or at least that's what I thought.
She hasn't found a camera but she found something else... something way more shocking.

She looks at me, her face full of terror, in her hand a letter.
She gives it to me, the signature sends shivers down my spine.

A.T.

I look at Sandy, it looks like time has stopped, for a moment I can't feel the oxygen in my lungs anymore. The calligraphy in cursive make it very clear that it's a letter written from him in person.

I slowly open the letter and I read out loud:

"𝐼𝑡'𝑠 𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑓𝑢𝑛𝑛𝑦 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑏𝑜𝑡ℎ 𝑡𝑟𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑑𝑒𝑡𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑠, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑔𝑎𝑚𝑒𝑠. 𝐼𝑡'𝑠 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡𝑤𝑜 𝑡𝑜 𝑔𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑢𝑝, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒'𝑠 𝑛𝑜 𝑝𝑜𝑠𝑠𝑖𝑏𝑖𝑙𝑖𝑡𝑖𝑒𝑠 𝐼'𝑚 𝑠𝑢𝑟𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢'𝑟𝑒 𝑎𝑤𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡. 𝐼'𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑎 𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑝 𝑎ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢.
𝐼𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑑𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑛 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑚𝑦 𝑜𝑓𝑓𝑖𝑐𝑒.
𝐼𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑛 𝑔𝑜𝑜𝑑 𝑙𝑢𝑐𝑘 𝑡𝑜 𝑓𝑎𝑐𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑒𝑞𝑢𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑠. 𝐼'𝑚 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑔𝑜𝑛𝑛𝑎 𝑏𝑒 𝑔𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑙𝑒.

𝐴.𝑇."

We look at each other terrified. I can feel the hand that is holding the letter shaking a bit.
He's challenging us. We need to make a decision, we have to decide now and we can't change the idea after.
All of a sudden Sandy starts laughing and I look at her confused.

«He must be really crazy if he thinks that we're gonna give up like that»

I look at her even more confused and she gives me the "I thought that would be obvious" look.

«C'mon Selene think. He sends us this letter because he feels threatened»

«I think we are the ones that should feel threatened» she rolls her eyes.

«Anyway...If he sends us this letter it means that the things we found out are right. He wants to scare us but who cares? If we get scared we won't find out anything, we need to stay calm okay?»

Her tone is serious, she isn't joking at all. We both know that this isn't a game, we don't know what are those consequences he talked about, we don't know what we must going through, we don't know anything.
But if I have to choose between living a miserable life in this hotel or be free then I'll choose be free without thinking twice.

«Why does he want us to go to his office if we decide to give up?"

I say thinking. There's a moment of silence then Sandy speaks.

«When you went to his office did you notice anything weird?»

«I mean...for being an office it's pretty big but apart from that it looks like a normal office with a desk, shelves with books and archives»

Sandy's face lit up as soon as I said "archives".

«We need to go in his office and see the archives. There might be some information for sure»

«Impossible, Alex barely leaves his office and when he gets out he sends one of them to check that nobody enters and if you're thinking about a distraction it's never gonna work because they know we're trying to find out the truth so they'll know we're doing it for that»

«But there must be a way...»

We start thinking about a way to enter in his office without nobody founding out about it but every way seems impossible.

«Fuck...»

How can we get Alex out of his office without him suspect of anything?
And then it hit me.

«Maybe there's a way»