Grace

Winters are much colder this time, and it always feels like they're getting colder with each passing year. I remember saying the same thing back in high school that these winters are the coldest, but I'll never accept that summers are better than winters. I love winter more than any other season. I adore the snow and the crisp cold breeze. On this particular winter morning, I'm cozily tucked under my warm bed covers when it's time to get up for university. I reluctantly pull my hand out from the warm cocoon of my mattress to silence the blaring alarm. My mobile is my lifeline, and I bring it under the covers with me. I turn it on, half-expecting some important notifications, but the only message I have is from Daniel.

Daniel is like my guardian angel, always checking in on me as if I'm his responsibility. It feels nice to have someone who cares so deeply about my well-being. I open his message, which reads, "Don't be late today. The bus leaves at 7 AM sharp." Today is our university year trip, marking the end of my first year at university. It's the first time our university class will venture outside the campus together. Exams are finally over, and the new semester starts in two weeks. As a way to let loose and recharge, the university has organized this trip for us. We're headed to the northwest, an area known for its picturesque hills and mountains. Given the dropping temperatures here, that place is likely to be covered in a glistening blanket of ice. I quickly respond to Daniel, "Just got up. Will be there in an hour." He immediately replies, "All sections are arriving. Be quick. I'll wait for you." As I reread his text, the realization hits me like a bolt of lightning—this trip isn't just for our section; it's for all sections. That means Ethan, my crush, will be there. My heart flutters, and I can't contain my excitement. I jump up and down on my bed as if I've won the lottery. With newfound enthusiasm, I bounce off the bed and start getting ready for the day ahead, eager to embark on this unforgettable journey.

Before heading out, I take a good look at myself in the mirror. Today, I'm dressed in a sleek black, tight-fitting shirt paired with black jeans and a long black coat. My shoes, though, are white, adding a touch of contrast to the ensemble. My hair and makeup are on point, and I'm feeling confident about my appearance. I decided to take the bus to the university, even though it's not too far. I want to arrive as early as possible. It's funny how the presence of one person can completely change my mood. Initially, I had little interest in this trip, but now I'm practically buzzing with excitement.

Upon arriving at the university, I make my way towards my department. Just then, my phone rings, and it's Daniel on the line. "Where are you?" he asks urgently as I answer. "I've arrived and I'm heading towards my department," I reply. "Good timing. The bus is about to leave. Come quickly. It's the white coaster standing at the front of all the buses. I'm waiting outside of it," he informs me. Even as he's speaking, I spot Daniel, standing with one hand on the phone and the other in his pocket. He waves me over and urges me to hurry. We both end the call simultaneously, and I sprint towards him. "Oh, I forgot to bring my water bottle, Daniel," I lament as soon as I reach him. He furrows his brow. "No time for that now. We can buy it on the way there." I can't go without water for even half an hour. Staying hydrated is essential for me, and I've never gone to the university without my trusty water bottle. But I understand that there's no time to dwell on this now, especially with all the students already on the buses.

Daniel ushers me towards the white coaster and opens the door. I pause for a moment, looking to my right. The other two coasters are already filled with students. I search for a familiar face, particularly Ethan, but it's too late for that now. With all the coasters full, I have to resign myself to the fact that I won't find him just yet. I climb into the coaster and see that Daniel has saved two seats for us on the left side. He gestures for me to take the window seat, and I quickly settle in. He occupies the seat beside me. The bus starts moving immediately, and we're the first coaster to leave the campus. I try to look back as I see the other coasters starting their engines, knowing I will only get a chance to see Ethan after we reach our destination.