Liam

As the days went by, the atmosphere at the workplace seemed to brighten with Grace's presence. Her vibrant personality was as infectious as ever, and her arrival had injected new life into our daily routine. Seeing her every day filled me with a sense of joy and excitement, much like our university days. Our workspace had transformed into a livelier and more dynamic environment since Grace had joined the team. Her enthusiasm and vivacity had a ripple effect on everyone around her. Time seemed to pass more swiftly than before, and the mundane tasks of the job became more bearable with her presence.

Each day, I eagerly awaited her arrival, coffee in hand, ready to share our morning moments. However, despite our growing friendship, I realized that there was still much I didn't know about her private life. It was somewhat disheartening not to have a deeper understanding of her beyond our work interactions. Yet, I had chosen to take things slow, respecting her boundaries and allowing our friendship to develop naturally.

I had eagerly anticipated the weekend, not only because it offered a brief respite from the daily grind but also because I had a significant task in mind. On this particular weekend morning, I awoke early, almost at the same time as I usually did for work. The anticipation of the day's events filled me with both excitement and nervousness. I decided to make myself a hearty breakfast, something to fuel my day ahead. After dressing carefully, I settled on an outfit that I deemed appropriate for this occasion – a light green shirt paired with crisp white pants and matching white shoes. My reflection in the mirror reassured me that I looked presentable, my hair perfectly groomed.

With a mix of excitement and apprehension, I made my way to Grace's apartment. Standing in front of it, I couldn't help but glance upward at her living quarters. I noticed her curtains were open, an indication that she was already awake, which added to my nervousness. The thought of our chance encounter here, while she believed it was merely a coincidence, made my stomach churn. I gave a quick once-over to my outfit and ensured my hair was just right before mustering the courage to push open the café door with the hope that I somehow would seek my chance to meet her. As the door swung open and I stepped inside, my eyes immediately locked with Grace's. She was standing behind the counter, engrossed in some task. Upon my arrival, her gaze shifted upwards, and her eyes met mine. We stood frozen in our respective positions, locked in an intense gaze for what felt like an eternity.

Breaking the silence and confusion, Grace finally uttered my name, "Liam?" Her voice carried a tone of both surprise and uncertainty. She seemed shocked to see me here, understandably so, as I hadn't informed her about my visit. "Hey," I replied, my voice a mix of nervousness and relief. I realized I needed to move and greet her properly. Grace had been in the middle of some work on the computer, and as she looked toward her right, I noticed a young and rather handsome man standing next to her. He was tall, likely in his late twenties, and was dressed in a similar white apron to Grace's. His black shirt accentuated his strong build, and his neatly kept, somewhat curly hair added to his charm. He glanced at me briefly before taking over the tasks Grace had been working on. Curiosity gnawed at me as I wondered about the connection between this man and Grace. Did he know she lived in the apartment above the café? For a brief, heart-wrenching moment, I even considered the possibility that he might be her husband.

As Grace made her way over to me, I finally redirected my attention toward her. She was looking livelier than ever, wearing no makeup. Her hair was tied up in a bun, and her T-shirt, visible beneath the apron, was a vibrant shade of orange. She appeared to be the Grace I remembered from our university days, radiating warmth and hospitality. Her smile was a welcoming beacon as her eyes rested on me. Her first question was, "How did you get to know about this place?" I hesitated, unable to reveal the true reason for my visit – that I had come here with the sole hope of seeing her. Instead, I opted for a more casual response. "I saw this café on my way home last night after work. I thought I'd stop by and give it a try. I had no idea you worked here," I replied with a friendly tone, a half-truth to mask my underlying intentions. Grace's eyes lit up with happiness at the sight of me, and she pointed to one of the tables nearby. "Well, you're here now. Have a seat," she warmly invited. I nodded and followed her toward the chosen table, hoping to enjoy the moments we would share in this charming café that held a special significance in her life.