🍂~ Chapter 1: Here Comes the Sun ~🍂

"Now and then it seems that life is too much. But you've got the love I need to see me through." -Florence & the Machine (from their song "You've Got the Love")

A/N: Hiya, welcome to Chapter 1!💙 Yes, in case you were wondering, the chapter title is from the Beatles' song, "Here Comes the Sun".☀️🎶

This fic and its sequels will be told in alternating POV (switching between different characters), except for this chapter. For my "Faded Star" readers, if seeing "Kenzie's POV" is too confusing, I can switch it to "Ellie's POV" in this fic, since that's another one of Mackenzie's nicknames. Votes & comments are welcome, as long as they're respectful. Enjoy the chapter!😊💜🦋

~     ~     ~     ~

Kenzie's POV

October. That sweet in-between season of the year, when the leaves had exchanged their spring green for the festive colors of the season, the breeze was more brisk & cold than calm & cool, and the hallways of Forks High were filled with talk of holiday plans, the Sadie Hawkins dance, and the ever-popular topic of quiet conversation, the Cullen & Hale family.

I gladly let the high school gossip train of thought go to the back of my mind while I tried to multi-task. Yeah, emphasis on tried. I was scrolling through the pictures Laurel sent me from her day with Aunt Lyla at the Griffith Observatory, from the starry ceilings to the gorgeous view of the LA sunset in all of its pink, orange, and violet glory. And at the same time, I was also trying to put my hair up.

"Screw it," I muttered, settling on a messy ponytail, tossing my hairbrush in my bag, adjusting my glasses in the mirror, and sliding on my Vans before deeming my outfit okay and heading downstairs for breakfast.

The silence in the kitchen wasn't surprising; Dad left earlier to get to work at the docks. As I got myself a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice, I turned on my Spotify, connected my phone to the speaker on the countertop, and hit shuffle. Smiling as "No Faker" started playing, I dug into my food, tapping my foot to the beat.

I glanced at my phone when I heard it go off, seeing a text from Angela: "I'm heading out the door now, are you ready to go?"

"Yep, see you soon.💜🦋", I typed, tapping send and taking my dishes to the sink. I put on my jacket and coat, slung my bag over my shoulder, and left the house, locking the door behind me.

A little while later, I saw Angela's car coming down the street, and skipped down the steps with a grin, waving as she stopped in front of the house.

"Hey, Angel," I greeted as I slid into the front passenger seat, and she smiled in return as we drove off.

"Hi, Ellie," she replied, shaking her head fondly at the nickname.

~     ~     ~

Before long, we were pulling into the Forks High parking lot, where a lot of our classmates were getting out of their cars and drifting into their friend groups to chat before class. Stepping out of her car, we went inside, not wanting to stay out in the cold longer than necessary.

 We stopped at the lockers to put our coats away, and I gave Angela a hug, which she returned in kind.

"I love you and I'll see you later," I said, as I closed the locker door.

"I love you too, Kenzie. Wait, class doesn't start for at least another 15 minutes," Angela stated, checking her watch just to be sure.

"I know, I just need to stop by the library beforehand," I explained.

"Alright, I'll see you at lunch, right?" she asked.

"You got it," I nodded, playfully saluting her before walking over to the school library.

It had a nice, calm feeling to it; one that I welcomed as I walked to the front desk, a smile on my face as I passed the rows of bookcases filled with countless worlds of ink and paper, easily accessed with just the turn of a page.

"Hi, Ms. Robin," I greeted the librarian as I approached her desk.

"Good morning, Kenzie. What can I do for you?" she replied, turning away from the computer.

"I have some books to return, and I might check out another one," I answered, gently setting my book returns on the desk.

"Thank you, dear. Let me know if you need anything else," she smiled, taking the books to check back in.

I nodded in thanks and wandered over to the middle section of bookshelves. Just looking at the various titles brought me a sweet sense of nostalgia, grinning at the sight of a few familiar favorites. However, my walk down memory lane was cut short by the ringing of the first bell.

Waving goodbye to Ms. Robin, I left behind the quiet space for the crowded hallways, carefully squeezing past my classmates before jogging the rest of the way to my homeroom class.

Sliding into my seat, I took out a pencil and my sketchbook to pass the time drawing when my phone buzzed. It was a message from my dad, "Thanks for the note, kiddo, I love you.💙 I'll see you later tonight, have a great day, sweetheart.💜"

"I love you too, Dad. I'll see you then, and please, be careful.❤️" After sending it, I put my phone back in my pocket and kept working on my latest drawing.

"Hi, is this seat taken?"

~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: And that was Chapter 1! I'm sorry it took so long for me to get it posted; I'll try to be better with future chapter updates!💙 I hope you're enjoying the story so far; I'm really excited to go further into this world and explore the characters (both canon & my originals)! Stay tuned for Chapter 2 & thank you so much for reading!😊💜🦋

❤️Question of the Day: What are your first impressions of Kenzie?

🎶Featured Music: "Here Comes the Sun" by The Beatles, "You've Got the Love" by Florence & the Machine, and "No Faker" by mxmtoon.