A New Chapter

LENA POV

"I think we should have the wedding when you want my, love." Stef says to me as I watch her slide her dress pants on and blazer. Today, we were all headed to Baby Stef's and Tasha's awards ceremony, and afterwards Roxy was holding a little party in her cafe for them.

Both of our girls were receiving awards for their summer school academics, and Baby Stef was accepting one for her music. We were very proud of them for continuing to do well in school, despite everything that had been going on in the last few months.

Placing my bracelets on, I look right at my wife, seeing Faith giggling and banging on the crib bars like she loved to do every day.

"Lena, my love, you shouldn't worry about what other people prefer. You know that. Our family is also very accommodating, ya know?"

"I know, but if we have it in winter, it's chilly. We didn't need to worry about that in jail because it was inside. I guess it's important for me to do it on the actual day. But then March feels far away. Doesn't it?" I say and she takes a seat beside me on the bed.

Grabbing my hand, I look right into Stef's eyes, seeing how sensitive they are. I had no idea why I was overthinking what month to have our wedding. I really wanted it to be on the day we got married in Chow, but that seemed far, but not at the same time.

"March is not a full year away, Stef. Six months. When do you want it, baby? Maybe next summer? That seems like a good time, right?"

"Sweetheart, I'd remarry you today without the wedding. I get you don't want people to freeze outside in our backyard, but it doesn't have to be the exact day, my love. I think it just matters what we want, not anyone else or you trying to make everyone comfortable. We'd have to accommodate a lot of people if we were going that fucking route, ya know?"

She gently strokes my fingers, her touch comforting, as we both turn to look at Faith, who has managed to take off her diaper and continues to bang on the crib.

"Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on this, baby?" I say, looking back at my wife and she nods her head.

"A bit, but it's going to be magical no matter what month it is, my love. Because it's us, and it's almost twenty year's baby. I know not yet, but it's fucking close enough for me, baby. Do you know how amazing that is? Almost getting to twenty years. And I gotta tell you my lion, I am happier with you every year that passes by and more in love with you. Plus, you still put up with my shit."

I laugh but can't help but feel a sense of sadness. Why, I'm not fully sure. The last month has been rather quiet for our family, compared to the prior months where it didn't seem we would ever catch a break.

Stef's blood pressure was doing much better on the new medications Dice suggested she be on, which was a relief.

We were still fostering Tasha, which Stef and I had no issue doing. She was very comfortable here, and we enjoyed having her with us and knowing she was safe. But we also knew things with her mother were not over and were very much in limbo.

It was something that upset Tasha, of course, not understanding why her mother left her behind, why she was so awful to her, and didn't love her. I didn't understand it, neither did Stef, and many times Tash would cry about it.

That was what infuriated me and my wife the most. Seeing how hurt this little girl was. But, we were in touch with Wilson, and Tasha's Social Worker to make sure we could keep her with us and not be sent to some relative she was not comfortable with. That was out of the question.

If anyone understood how Tasha felt, it was Baby Stef. Even if the circumstances were different, Baby Stef understood what it was like to not have your mother in your life. She was tough, very much like her Yaya, but just like Stef, the situation with Callie was very, very difficult for her.