LA

CALLIE POV

"Good job Callie. Keep this up and you can move up a bit. You're the hardest worker I have, and you've proven to be reliable. Don't disappoint me." My boss Winston says as I untie my apron hanging it on the hook. I smile widely at him being grateful for this job, and the fact that I was once again a good worker, and making money legally.

"Thank you so much, Winston. I won't let you down. I promise. This job means the world to me. It really does." He nods his head, handing me my check.

"I hear you. I have overtime coming up. Interested?"

"Oh sure, yes. I am. Totally just tell me when and I'm there!"

"Good. I'll put you down for it when it comes up. See you in two days."

"Sure, I'll be here." I say, grabbing my bag and turning to wave back to Chantel.

"See you girl. Oh, and my cousin said I can bring you by. If you're serious about this singing thing. He can get studio time, but he has to hear you first." She stares hard at me with her brown eyes that have layers and layers of makeup on them along with long fake eyelashes. I wasn't sure how she could even see or do her work with the long nails she had on too. They reminded me so much of Tracey.

"Seriously? Like seriously." Clasping my hands together in excitement I beam as my smile grows wide. 

"Yes, just don't make me look like no fool. He doesn't have spare time to waste if you suck."

"I won't. I swear I won't! I have a few songs I've been working on. Like, you won't be disappointed at all," I say and she smiles, her long braids held up by a ponytail hanging high on top of her head.

"Alright, I'll let him know. Don't make me look like no fool, white girl, or we can't be friends no more."

"You have nothing to worry about! I swear it. But you rock Chantel. Thank you so much!"  I engulf her in a hug and she laughs hysterically, playfully pushing me off. "This means so much to me! You have no idea!"

"Don't thank me yet! Thank me after he hears you and feels like you're good enough for studio time. Now, go on home and head to your meetings. Winston is right. You are the best worker, and that's big coming from him. Believe me." She hands me a bag of food and I happily place it in my bag. "Oh and my Mama is having a barbecue on Sunday. I can bring you a plate, Monday."

"Oh you don't need to do that Chantel. I'm okay really."

"I'll see you in two days, Callie." She says and I shake myhead knowing she's gonna do whatever she wants.

"Thanks, I'll see you Monday."

"Mm. Be safe Callie."

"I will." Exciting the back door of Winston's Rib Shack, I light a smoke, feeling the warm LA air instantly hit me. The sun was beginning to set as I head down Compton Blvd. I had just enough time to head to the corner store to grab my favorite candy before check in at the halfway house.

LA was interesting, and I had been here a few months. Initially the transition had been difficult but I was determined to restart my life. Sure, the halfway house wasn't in a very good area, but it didn't phase me since I had been locked up twice in Chow. I knew how to handle myself, despite looking naïve and dumb like Chuckie used to tell me I was.

I kept to myself for the most part, but I had met a few nice people down here, which really helped with the loneliness I faced sometimes. Yes, I was about six hours from my family, but I had to do this on my own and in a different place. It was just far too much pressure, possibly bumping into them or seeing them.