14. Azrael

"This is stupid." Demien mumbled as they trudged through muddy water. Azrael laughed as they continued to move through it, reaching the other side of the pond. Demien shook mud off of his boots before he caught up to Azrael. "How do you know where we're going?"

"You aren't the only one who was saved and brought into Aurora. Freeland was my home." Azrael looked back at him, lifting a brow. "You just never got to know these woods." Demien looked around and scoffed.

"Yeah well it's not much apparently." He said. Azrael laughed.

"You're so used to that large estate that you can't even stop and appreciate nature, huh. There are smaller villages hidden around Freeland. Outcasts from other kingdoms, outcasts from our kingdom. We'll probably find Jax in one of them nearby." He replied. Demien looked over at him as they continued into the woods ahead of them. 

They walked for a while longer before Demien could smell firewood burning. Different smells attacked his nostrils, scents he recognized, reminding him of Aurora before the attack. When everyone was at peace. He pulled at Azrael's shirt as they both stopped, pointing upwards at the dark clouds. They could begin to hear music playing, conversation, laughter. People were celebrating. They lingered behind tall foliage for a few minutes before Azrael looked to their right, spotting a clearing in the bushes, a dirt path into the village.

"Won't we get caught?" Demien called after him.

"Not where all are welcome." Azrael replied. Demien's shoulders relaxed as he slowly followed his mentor into the city. Children ran around using magic to play. Elves walked around freely, fairies flew from rooftop to rooftop, and sorcerers used their magic on the open streets of the village. Demiens eyes were gleaming with excitement, taking everything in. It was nostalgic. Azrael noticed the look on his face and smiled, leading them both down the village's streets with ease.

"Sometimes I wander off back here just to feel normal. This village is named after one of the greatest sorcerers to ever live. Adeline Barthelemy. Of course I'm biased... since she was my mother." He said, forcing Demien to turn his head.

"She was?" He asked. Azrael nodded.

"She was the village shaman, or so she hid under that title. She had many abilities but was best known for healing. When we were attacked... she sent me off with my siblings. None of which survived. Simon had sent these horrid creatures that attacked with some sort of gas that they exhaled. Nothing we had seen before. By the time healers could figure out what was happening, the majority of villagers had begun to rot from the inside out." He said as they reached a smaller building towards the end of the main road, it was made of red bricks. Azrael pulled out a small key from his pocket and unlocked the door, letting them both inside.

"Everyone died that day. Leaving this village completely deserted. When Aurora was attacked, I figured Simon wouldn't think twice of sending monsters here again, so I led those who were exiled from our kingdom, well, here." He closed the door behind them. The house was quite small. Mostly a fireplace for cooking, a sofa bed, and a study area. The bathroom was set up in the far off corner. Demien looked around as Azrael used his abilities to cover the windows in a one way magic screen. They were able to see out, but if someone peered in, it would seem as if no one was home. "This is how I keep tabs on what's going on around me during the day. We'll venture out at night when things are quieter. It'll help you strengthen your abilities and also leave others unsuspecting of our plans." He said, Demien nodding in agreement.

"So what am I going to learn from you?" Demien asked bluntly, turning from where he had been peering out the window. Azrael raised a brow at the question. Sitting down on a chair by the fireplace as Demien took a seat on the sofa, he snapped his fingers as the fireplace sparked up.

"I am able to see others' souls. Speak to them. Heal and bring them back from the dead within reasonable time, especially if they have important tasks that've been left unfinished. It's not always the case, not everyone can be saved. I am also able to help them crossover to the next life peacefully." He began. "I'm going to teach you how to tap into that other plane and see things that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. Things get dark sometimes and if you need to tap out-"

"That sounds interesting, so I'll be able to see dead people?" Demien asked. Azrael chuckled nervously.

"No. You first have to learn how to see the living's true colors. Auras. Intentions. You can meet the nicest woman and think you've found the one, then use your abilities and learn her tongue is forked in two." He replied. "You'll be able to see if a loved one is smiling in your face, but suffering in silence. This ability is intrusive. I don't use it often unless I'm passing someone over so I know how to handle their passing. I know you'll use it at first as you're learning, but it's something you don't want... 'on' at all times. It's like mind reading, but worse."

"Then how will this help me?" Demien asked, raising a brow.

"It'll help if you're ever out adventuring on your own, or strangers enter the kingdom, to know who to trust and who not to trust. Keep in mind some know of these powers and use their own magic to protect their real identity. But with this ability you'll at least be one step ahead of those who aren't as prepared." He replied. Demien nodded, looking out of the window as he noticed the festival was still at full sail. He turned to Azrael who had been staring into the fire.

"Is it okay if I venture out and... honestly I'd just like to be around magicals again." Demien asked, longing in his eyes. Azrael nodded.

"Just don't destroy anything." Azrael teased.