𝐈

I sighed to myself as I looked into the bathroom mirror, fixing my mess of hair. Today was Reaping day, and Plinth Prize day. I had to look presentable, I had to act presentable, two things I was taught from as young as I could remember. I wore a simple yet elegant dress, it was black and formal, topped with a stylish blazer that matched the dress. I gave myself a weak smile before deciding to braid a few stands of my hair throughout my head. In about 10 minutes I tied little white ribbons to the ends of each braid, making my hair look a little more interesting. 

I slowly walked down the stairs, not wanting to face my parents. I was really not in the mood to be criticked by my mother, and have and uninspiring, slightly threatening pep-talk from my father. Nonetheless, I was at the dining table taking my seat in front of a plate of food. My mother and father both reading the newspaper separately, not even acknowledging me. 

I brushed the hair from my face and started to eat the pancakes the maid provided. My mother looked up from her newspaper, a look of terror crossed her face. She considered herself the fashion queen, always knowing what was in and what was out, always knowing what looked good and what didn't. It got tiring after a while of knowing her.

She jumped up from her seat and was soon by my side. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the 'urgent' situation. "Gosh what have you done to your poor, poor hair?" 

"I put small braids in it and tied them with little bows to make my hair look more interesting" I said in a more tired than intentional voice.

My mother frantically played with my hair trying to make the braids look better. As long as she wasn't taking them out, I couldn't care less. My attention shifted from my mother combing her fingers through my hair to the clock that sat atop the doors that lead to the kitchen. 7:46 am. I took my chance to leave, we were required to be at Heavensbee hall by 8:30 at the latest. My father was yet to give me a pep-talk, this really was the perfect chance to make my escape.

"I better get going now, I wouldn't want to be late now, would I?"

"But I thought the latest you had to be there was 8:30" said my mother, a hint of confusion in her tone.

I decided to lie my way out of the situation, "Um, well they changed the times to 8:00, some extra speech" 

"Well alright then" my mother replied, still slightly confused on my urgency now and not before.

I jumped up from my seat grabbing my bag on the way out the door when my father decided to finally talk.

"Make sure you return with that Plinth Prize, make Trinket a name that people will 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 remember at that darn academy"

"Y-yes father" I said, and before I knew it I was out the door. 

I ran to the car where I was met with an avox opening the backseat door. I immediately relaxed as I got in, the leather seats felt comforting in a weird way. 

"To Heavensbee hall please" I said to the avox and they gave me a small nod and began to drive. I looked out the window onto the wrecked streets, perfect buildings next to destroyed ones.

Once we arrived I thanked the avox and stepped out and into the hall. I placed my bag into an assigned pigeon hole and made my way around to find Livia who was talking to Lysistrata.

"Ah! Mari, you made it surprisingly early" Livia said. I was never early, often held back by my mother adjusting my outfit and hair.

"I managed to avoid my mother touching my hair as much" I replied 

"Your hair- I love it!" said Lysistrata. I was slightly taken aback by the compliment, I wasn't really used to receiving that many compliments.  

"Oh thank you, I like your dress, I like both of your outfits" I said slightly flustered.