Part 4; Her House (1)

(743 words)

Fáaiteh ablhile?” I repeated in a horrible Irish accent.

“Welcome home,” Moira said to me quickly before flinging herself out of the car and towards the front door.

I quickly followed her, struggling to keep up in the dark.

I could hear her keys jingle as she unlocked the large grey wooden front door, and as the door swung open, the darkness crept out from inside.

“I can't see anything. Haven't you got a light in here?” I whined.

“Patience.”

“What time is it? Surely it must be past 8pm," I continued.

Quickly checking her watch as she walked inside, Moira said, “it's 8:53."

The geneticist led the way, flicked a switch, and walked into the kitchen, as the hanging light beamed it revealed a white marble kitchen counter.

“Do you have a cleaner? Like a maid or something? It's spotless in here,” I asked, gracefully sweeping my hand on the white marble countertop.

“No. Although the man who comes to dogsit for me often deep cleans my house. Something to do with his anxiety,” Moira said as she fetched various items from the fridge and set them out of the bench.

I sat on a stool at the counter, facing Dr. O'Deorain.

“What are you doing?” I pushed.

Tiarna, please stop with all the questions. I'm making sandwiches,” the woman glared at me. (Lord).

“Sorry,” I looked down, “I'm just excited. It's been a while since I was outside of the lab."

“Trust me, I know that feeling well. You're forgiven.” Moira slightly smiled, and continued assembling a pair of hands and cheese sandwiches.

I watched her slice the block cheese for a moment, before talking again.

“You have a beautiful smile,” I grinned, “the very few times I've seen it, that is.”

“Thank you. You're smile is more pleasant than most as well,” the geneticist said calmly, looking at me.

It's happening again, our eyes meeting, our souls connecting, time freezing.

Her irises are so breathtaking. They're filled with such life and magic. They bring me a feeling of safety.

Silence... The wavelengths of the room paused.

A sudden soft thump rang across the kitchen, startling us out of our gaze.

Tiarna, sorry.” Moira leant over to pick up the bread she dropped.

I laughed, “that's alright. I enjoyed it.” I sincerely hoped she understood what I meant.

“Mmh. Lots of unspoken tension in the air," the geneticist said, acknowledging the very thing that I was hoping to ignore.

“Y-yes... I guess so,” I mumbled, taken back by her bluntness.

“I assume it'll be gone in the morning, after a nice rest. Perhaps a bath or shower as well.”

“Yeah, hopefully,” I flatly said.

“Well I suppose it's still quite early... How would you like to watch a movie with me?” Moira said, lifting two plates each with a sandwich on top and walking into her loungeroom.

I followed her, and sat down on the circular dark grey sofa, and she sat beside me, handing a plate over in my direction.

“Any preferences for a movie? Personally I'm a fan of true crime documentaries,” she said as she grabbed a remote off the coffee table beside the couch.

“Mmh. I like comedy and romcoms the most, but I'm down for whatever." I say, smiling at the redhead and taking a bite of my ham and cheese sandwich.

“In that case, may I show you one of my favourite movies? It's a breakdown of the VoxAir murders... It's quite a classic,” she said, pulling out silverware to slice her bread gracefully.

The whole night was a blur; she showed me her favourite crime documentary, which was slightly...scary... But I'd never admit that to her.

As the movie finished, I was nearly startled by her voice, “well, that was a wonderful experience. Sharing the movie I love with the person I love,” Moira said, her voice slurring as she was clearly tired and delusional.

“I- um... Yeah, thank you,” I stuttered back.

“Goodnight then y/n, thank you for keeping me company,” she said, getting off the couch and placing the empty plates in the kitchen before trembling to her room, leaving me on the couch with a blanket and some pillows.

“Goodnight...Dr O'Deorain...” I said softly into the darkness.

As I rested my head for what felt like the first time in days, I tried so hard to drift off to sleep, but with no success...