Part 14; The Mutual

{609 words}

After leaving the hotel I was at with Keith, I rang the geneticist to patch things up. Granted, I have no idea what I'm saying sorry for as I have no memories of the forgotten night, and I can only go off what Keith told me happened.

"Hey. Moira?" I stepped out of the sliding glass door onto the sidewalk holding my phone up to my cheek.

"Y/n. Hello. Are you okay?" Her Irish voice was slightly distant and I could tell she was tired.

"Oh- Well, yes, I'm okay." I hesitated. I probably shouldn't tell her where I woke up, I don't remember exactly what happened, but either way it's not something I want to admit to.

"Wonderful. I'm sorry I had to leave you last night, I promise it was urgent. Did you get home okay?" Her voice was caring.

"Y-yeah. I ended up staying in a hotel nearby." I stammered.

"How lovely. I'm glad you had a nice night. Would you like me to pick you up and bring you to my house for lunch?"

"Yeah that would be great."

"Understood, I'll be there in 10 minutes," Moira said through a smile, before hanging up the phone.

~10 minutes later~

Moira pulled over in front of the hotel in her grey Accord. With her window down and her hands on the wheel, she smiled. "Let's go y/n."

I looked up from my phone and quickly jumped in the passenger seat of the car, trying to avoid her eye contact discreetly.

"Hey. Thanks for picking me up." I had guilt eating away at my insides, I shouldn't lie.

"Worry not, it's my pleasure." She drove the car away from the hotel.

"I will be entirely honest with you, I don't remember what happened last night. All I remember is you leaving," I softly admitted.

"Oh? Was everything alright when you woke up? No tattoos, piercings?" Moira pushed, smirking while keeping her eyes on the road.

My eyes widened slightly, "I...uh, no. Nothing of the sort."

As she stopped the car at a red light, she looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Are you sure, y/n? You seem unsure."

Shit. She can see right through me. Of course she can.

I gave her a slight smile, "yeah. I'm okay, I promise."

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"Wonderful. Perhaps I can tell you my answer to your question from last night then? I've been thinking about it and I think I've come to a conclusion that will suit us both." Moira drove through the intersection when the light turned green.

I finally looked at her, wide eyed. "Really? Do tell." My eyes sparkled.

"In that case, y/n I accept your offer. I would be delighted to be your partner."

My eyes widened. Shit. So I have sex with a random man the night before and the morning of the day Moira agrees to be my girlfriend. I can never tell her, can I?

She obviously noticed my blatant hesitation while I was thinking. "Y/n? Is everything okay?" She turned the car into a mostly empty car park.

I looked in her eyes, "yeah. I'm okay, sorry. I have a lot on my mind today."

Now the car was parked she fully turned her body and attention towards me. "If you need to get it off your mind, I'm always here to listen." She took my hand in hers and smiled lightly.

Shit. I am a horrible person. How can I lie to Moira when she's done nothing wrong? I have to be honest.

But I don't want to lose her...