5. The Infiltration

'Can you, just once, reconsider helping everyone you just happen to meet?' Astarion asks you with your team gathered in the new camp around a happily cracking campfire. All of you are wearing clean camp clothes, sharing food and tea or other beverages amongst each other. The vampire stands above everyone else and a few people give him tired glances. 'First, refugees, then some gnomes in the Underdark, then some random stray kid,' he points his hand at Yenna, who tremendously helped them that day with gathering potion ingredients and cooking. For a second she looks scared at his comment. 'Just how severe your savior complex is?'

You stand up and walk around Jaheira and Halsin to place your hands on the elf's shoulders. You give him a gentle squeeze and look at him seriously, pleasantly surprised that he did not retreat from your touch. A few months ago, if you dared to be so affectionate, your hands would have been probably cut off.

'Astarion,' you start gently. 'I know that it's not the safest course of action, but we killed so many of our foes. We killed Orin, a literal champion of God of Murder. I know that compared to Raphael she was probably a small fry, but I think if we plan carefully, we will succeed. And I think we are more than prepared.'

The vampire sighs and turns his gaze up to the sky.
'He used to like us, you know. I think it's no longer the case.'

'You are most likely correct,' you admit and look at Karlach pleadingly.

'Who cares! He's a devil. If he ever liked us, it's because he knew that there is a lot to gain here.'

'And dealings with the devils are never fair,' Wyll adds, supporting his seated position on his left hand. 'I think Tav did the best thing possible. If negotiations are not possible, then we can either put all of our trust in The Emperor and I do not like that, there is not a lot of differences between a devil and a mind-flayer, or steal the Hammer and free Hope,' the comment about not trusting the Emperor makes Lae'zel nod approvingly.

'But wouldn't it be safer to just steal the Hammer? Maybe we could actually buy ourselves time to escape.'

'No,' Karlach comments. 'Even if we will be able to escape with the Hammer and with or without Hope, we escape to the Material Plane. If you kill Raphael here, he just comes back. He will haunt us for the eternity. And then, you can be sure soldier that we run out of supplies, potions of healing, scrolls, Hells!' Karlach flexes her arms and makes a motion with her foot as if trying to kick a rock. 'Our own stamina as well. We either strike now, or just forget about it.'

You look at Karlach with admiration in your eyes.

'And as much as I don't like to go back there, because it is still technically inside Avernus, at least I am sure I will be on my best during the fight. The engine is at home in Avernus.'

You look around your group, eyes setting on Gale.
'And then, it leaves us with the case of the crown.'

'Right,' he replies awkwardly, but shoots you a puppy-like glance.

'I don't think we should even consider taking it ourselves, as much as some of us really do enjoy the idea of having so much power,' you gently squeeze Astarion's forearm and he smirks. 'I think that if there is a chance, we should either destroy it or have it in some kind of a hidden, safe place, which would mean - Mystra's domain.'

'Great point!' Gale points his finger at you.

You take a breath in and look across the faces of your allies. After all this time there are still moments when you find it hard to believe that you have so much authority as their leader. All of the eyes are glued to you and no one is trying to cut you off or interrupt your speech. They just want to hear your plan and it seems like they really do have a lot of trust in you. You weren't the one to give yourself credit for things that you in fact should acknowledge, even if some of more experienced warriors, such as Jaheira, actively complimented your tactic skills. Your fighting style was 'all means, no risk'. Well, when it comes to raiding a devil's mansion, it surely was anything but 'no risk' but you tried to keep it to the minimum.