Chapter 13

"I'm glad you are here, Ms. Yu." Doctor Kim Junsu welcomed Jimin, a dedicated neurosurgeon, and a psychologist. A doctor in his sixties. He had a plump physique. His hair was white and shabby. Despite the coldness coming from his eyes, his personality was warm. Twenty years ago, his wife died of cancer. Since then he gave all his time in modern research and development.

"It's been a while, Junsu. I want to see the progress." Jimin smiled cordially at him.

Dr. Kim's late father also worked with Jimin. His father was a scientist. Junsu was unaware of her immortality. One thing she admired about Junsu, he doesn't ask, he doesn't care about his patron's personal life. They possessed a common interest, in a manner of not asking why and getting the job done.

He accompanied Jimin to the research laboratory. It was futuristic in design, one of the lairs of Dr. Kim and well funded by her. All walls were painted white; floors were made of marble and cameras were managed by a centralized computer, created for human intelligence.

Developing a research laboratory in a third world country was more accessible. Bribery was rampant, and the documents could easily be faked with no evidence to worry. Investing in a third world country was a natural choice for Jimin.

Dr. Kim pressed his fingerprint on a scanner to open the door.

[ "Area 31 Westside door, open" ]

The automated female voice of the computer gave a command. They entered the room surrounded by modern machines. A girl of age twelve years old was sleeping on a bed with electrodes attached to her head. The wires on her shoulder were all connected to the plasma screens. Dr. Kim offered a seat to Jimin. The assistant of Dr. Kim moved in silence; they gave the chart to the doctor and left without a word.

"The recent survivors, we successfully erased their memories. The last patient was from Bosnia. She was captured by the Russian Mafia and made a sex slave and sold to the pedophiles," Dr. Kim explained to Jimin. They stared at the girl and watched the analysis from the screen. "She suffered from trauma. She could not speak, and her health was gradually weakening. The girl went into an unconscious state." The doctor scanned the files. "We are now erasing the recesses of her subconscious level," he stated from his findings.

They examined the monitor and looked at the colorful lines depicting the consciousness and the brain scan of the sleeping child. Dr. Kim no longer uses buttons, the computer screen was a hologram, and a swipe from the light screen had sensitive sensors to follow the command.

"Her amygdala has a lot of memories of fear stored. Both the parietal lobe and frontal lobe are accessible," Jimin observed as she scrutinized the monitor. The linear scans of brain activity moved smoothly, and information was quickly delivered.

[ "Patient 346 will be awake at exactly 5 hours 20 minutes and 15 seconds"]

"The patient could hear her surroundings while her memories were erased. We could explore the subconscious mind to let go of the hidden memories. When she wakes up, she will no longer remember her past." Dr. Kim swiped the cursor and moved his finger to another data to scan the analysis.

"That's a great job Dr. Kim, shall we proceed to your office now?"

He nodded at Jimin. "Very well, Ms. Yu." He already knew the purpose of her visit. They headed to the office. He was at the door and she sat on the couch.

"Is there a new way, to erase some part of my memory?" she did not bother to waste another minute with her question. Junsu gazed at her with sadness in his eyes. He sighed as he shoved his hands inside the pockets of his white coat. "Yours is a difficult case, Ms. Yu. It regenerates. There is no possibility to erase your memory."