Chapter 40

The Past of Minjeong

Final Chapter

The rain dropped mercilessly upon the city, landed on the rooftops, and turned the streets into smooth stones and muddy waters. It seemed like the world lament with a million teardrops. Birds had taken shelter from the woes of nature as the chilly haze of rain spread into a cold afternoon.

Inside a huge warehouse, a loud noise could be heard a sound for a battle. The pouring rain outside the glass window watched the fighter prepare for his great battle. He threw a powerful kick in the air, another hit in a high rope and he jabbed the sandbag with a closed fist. His heart was set; he felt no fear of his death. Streamed of sweat flowed down from his forehead, his muscular arms shimmered from perspiration. He released sharp grunts as he kept on throwing more punches.

Jongsuk coiled the white bandage around his hand and threw coordinated jabs to the air.

"Adjust your footwork, Jongsuk. Practice with the counter punch. Train your feet to avoid the enemy." Sugun clicked his tongue in dissatisfaction while sitting on the bench with a white towel around his neck and a holding stopwatch. His cold gaze watched every movement.

Jongsuk nodded in response. He grunted every time he threw forceful punches; he trained for days. It would break his heart again to remember his daughter. He was a monster before, a beast among the hyenas. However, in an ironic twist of fate, his freedom was short-lived. With a mournful heart, he accepted his defeat; he could only carry the fragment of memories to the depths of his heart.

He breathes heavily while he continued to strike more punches. The rain never stopped to pour, seeing the droplets trickle down on the window gave him a sense of calmness.

"That's enough!" Sugun's voice hardened as he spoke.

Jongsuk released a final blow. The bandages on his right hand loosely slipped, his white shirt and black shorts soaked in sweat.

"Take a break!" Sugun tossed a white towel at him. "Get ready; tomorrow will be your big fight." He sighed, his tone was uncertain. He could not tell if it would be his last fight. Today, he saw a different fighter; it scared and confused his feeble mind.

Sugun left him. Jongsuk took a rest on the bench and drank a lot of water. He raised his eyes and looked at the ceiling. There were pigeons perched on the corners. The corrugated roof was made of glass; he could see and hear the echoes of rain inside the warehouse. It sounded like a million drums, like the drummers in the world had got together to play a concert on the roof.

Hearing a leak coming from the ceiling, he stretched out his hand to catch the falling water which seemed like a drop of tears. He smiled; he let the droplets fall soundlessly into his palm. He stood up to look out the window and watched the world melting in the rain.

-----

"I miss you, Appa," Minjeong uttered in a hoarse whisper as she stared at the window. The rain slid on trees; the leaves hung limp while the world turned into tears. She fixed the white blanket embracing her body. Sitting on the floor, watching the rain from the window and forcing a smile amidst the chagrin of her sweet chocolate eyes.

Jongsuk looked at the glass window, the drizzling rain created fogginess on the surface. He began to draw a face, a small circle with eyes and smiling lips on the window. When he was a child, he thought that the thunderstorm was like the raging sea when it was angry, it scared him. Right now, as he watched the sky, something about the sound soothed him, it gave him comfort and calmness to know that even nature needed to scream sometimes, needed to cry sometimes.

He lightly touched the smiling face he drew on the window. "J-just s-smile. D-don't be s-sad. S-smile," he could only whisper his love amid the storm.