7 - DURING

He woke up sweating, and immediately shot to his feet. Nauseas hit him like a bus.

"Careful, dummy."

Maislee was sitting a few feet from him, poking at a small fire. She was gnawing on the dried meat, and was nursing a cracker.

"Maislee_" He started breathlessly.

She held up her hand.

"You're welcome." She said nonchalantly.

Haymitch felt his wound to find it covered in intricate bandaging. "How did you get this?"

"Apparently you have fans." Maislee said with her mouth full. "The second you passed out, like ten sponsors sent us stuff."

"But_"

"They did it more discreetly this time. As soon as the sun dropped, a bunch of boxes came down. One had bandages and some healing cream."

"Cool." Was all Haymitch could think to say.

"Very." Maislee passed him a piece of meat. "Eat. We gotta move soon."

Haymitch paused before taking the meat. "We're_ we're sticking together?"

Maislee titled her head up at Haymitch.

"Well, I just saved your life. And you're smart and could probably keep me safe. We could double our chances of surviving longer if we stuck together. So I guess I'm more or less mandating an alliance."

Haymitch suppressed a smile. "Sounds fair to me."

"Good. Eat and let's go."