3 - BEFORE

Haymitch, Harrison and their mother walked in silence with other families to the district capital for the reaping. Haymitch tried to swallow down his nerves as he walked. He'd luckily woken up before his mom and was able to get Aimee out undetected, and hoped she'd gotten back into her home without hassle.

Harrison was fiddling with his collar and kept pushing up his neatly combed hair.

"Stop it, Harry." Their mother chastised, but it was clear her heart wasn't in it. Cecilia Abernathy was only 36, having had Haymitch at 20. Her young age was clear, with her beautiful blonde hair and unique brown eyes. Her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, and her young figure was hidden by baggy beige clothes. She usually tried to look nicer and more colorful ("just because the town is gloomy, doesn't mean I have to be!") but the Reaping usually stole all the pep from her step.

"Can I please just undo one button?"

"You have to have chest hair to do that, buddy."

"That's enough, Mitch."

That was all for communication as their dysfunction entered the front lawn of the district capital.

Their mother stopped outside the roped off boundary for the children. Around them, other parents were hugging and kissing their children. Some were crying and screaming.

Haymitch understood the panic. The Quarter Quell brought upon a deadly surprise. Double the amount of tributes would be reaped. Each child was twice more likely to get drawn.

"Okay. I'll meet you both back at home after. It's not worth trying to meet up afterwards, it's always chaos." Their mother spoke calmly, but her eyes were wide open.

They nodded, Harrison actually keeping his mouth shut. He blinked rapidly and hugged their mom. He wiped his eyes, and grabbed Haymitch's hand.

Haymitch cast a side-eye at his little brother, seeing the sheet terror in his face. He swallowed and hugged his mother with his free hand.

"He'll come home to you in a little bit." He whispered in her ear. She nodded into his shoulder.

He and his mother had an unsaid agreement every Reaping. Worst case scenario, one of her sons would return to her. And it wouldn't be Haymitch.

Of course, they left the obvious unsaid. In this particular Games, both of her sons had a chance of going to the games. And Haymitch couldn't do anything about it.

The boys left their mother with the other parents and drifted into the roped off area with the other boys.

In front of the Capital building was a makeshift stage, which looked like it had been thrown together in the last hour. A few random pieces and wood and nails, and a maroon podium standing in the center. There were a few cameras positioned around the stage, but nothing compared to what the other district's reapings were like. Haymitch had seen footage of large stages with curtains, lights, and a whole army of cameramen and women.

Haymitch was fine without the spectacle. He figured he would hate it even more if it was all glamourous. And he hated it quite a lot.

Harrison clung to Haymitch's hand for dear life, even when they were standing still in their spots.

"That cute girl from your class is looking over here." Haymitch noticed. "Might wanna look a little tougher."

Harrison lifted his chin to see his crush staring right at them. Haymitch assumed he would immediately straighten up and let go of his hand, but his brother remained exactly how he was.

"If she doesn't like me for who I am, then she doesn't deserve me."

"That's a good attitude, Downgrade. An unrealistic attitude, but a good one."