CHAPTER 5

Aarohi POV

Monday mornings always start with that tiredness from the fun Sunday. I wake up, get ready, and go down to the living room. As my mom was in the pooja room, I went to take some flowers from the table, place them at the feet of the idol, and finish my daily prayer. I go into the kitchen to prepare my coffee. I sit at the dining table, where my dad is reading the newspaper. Even though we now have digital newspapers, my dad prefers the feel of the actual paper. We have our breakfast together and go to our respective offices in our cars.

I reach the office at around 10:00 a.m. Today is very busy, with meetings lined up one after the other. I quickly unpack my bag and get to the meeting room to meet the Artist of the Illustration company. We have around 5 artists who are collaborating on the project. As I enter, I see the senior designer placing the materials on the table for each person. I'm surprised to see that the director also joined the meeting.

The meeting starts, and the senior designer presents all the requirements, the overall output expected from this book, and all the little details, which last about an hour and a half. As we conclude, we move on to have a free session where the artist gives their opinion, and it is like getting to know them a little more. "These are our requirements and conditions. Please feel free to express your opinion, and if we can improve the quality, then we can make changes." I speak once the senior designer takes her seat. The sound of flipping papers could be heard for a few minutes before one of them spoke up, " My suggestion is that ..." Before they can complete the sentence, the director interrupts, "I think the structure is good and doesn't require any change, and the artist doesn't have an opinion, I'm sure " he says, directing the last part of the sentence and glaring at the artist who was about to speak.

 I just try to control my anger and not lash out at him. I spoke in a serious tone: "My top priority in any project is the communication of needs, and collaboration will lead to a better version of the book."  I signal the artist to speak their opinion. The session lasted about 30 minutes. Different opinions were put forward and there was a healthy discussion, which led to some minor changes in the original plan for better improvement. Overall, the meeting was great except for the occasional disturbance from the director, who kept passing comments and remarks when the artist expressed their opinion. I honestly don't get why he is here today, as he doesn't seem to be interested in the artist's opinion or their work. I just hate such people who have no professional work ethics and who think they can put down other people just because they are in a higher position.

I stand up and say, "Thank you everyone for your presence here. You can start your work, and the deadlines and corrections will be communicated to you through your email IDs. If necessary, we can contact you for an online or offline meeting, which will also be scheduled through your email IDs. Please make sure you leave the correct email addresses with the senior designer here. Thank you once again." I give a professional smile and am about to walk out of the meeting room when the director's voice stops me. "Ms. Roy, it would be great if we could grab some lunch. Last time also, we missed the opportunity to get to know each other." Director says in a small voice as he walks up to me while having a sly smile on his face.

 I mentally roll my eyes, thinking this person cannot accept rejection at all. After our first meeting, he kept messaging me to grab lunch, but the polite rejection didn't seem to get through his head. "Sure," I say, with a slight smirk on my face. Before he could feel joy inside, I turned towards the artist and said, "Everyone, as this is our first meeting, why don't all of you join us for lunch and get to know each other?" I smile and turn towards the director, who has a scowl on his face. "Shall we?" I ask the director with a fake smile, and he just awkwardly smiles and walks out of the room. I celebrated in my head and I could hear a little laugh from Avika from behind. I look at her, and she gives me a thumbs up.

Thankfully, the lunch was not bad, as Avika sat beside me, and whenever the director wanted to talk, someone or another interrupted him. After lunch, I rush for back-to-back meetings. As the day progressed, I was getting more and more frustrated with people who made stupid remarks about me and my work ethic.

As night dawned, the lights turned off one by one in the office, indicating people going home. I continue to work sorting all the materials of the book to distribute to the artist and also managing the other work that seems to be put on my head in the final moment. As I stretched a little, the blinking digital clock indicating 9:30 p.m. caught my attention. I quickly pack my things and walk out. I see that the security cabin had the lights on.

 As I walk to the parking lot, I see the security uncle standing there. He sees me and smiles when I reach him. "Uncle ji (in a respected tone for elders) app ghar nahi gaye kya? Ithini rat or thand me app ka health karab hojaaega "    ( Uncle why haven't you gone home yet ? drive myself home. It is late in the night and also cold; your health will be spoiled). Uncle just laughs " Beti app ka intazar kar raha tha. Me ghar jane wala that per app ka car dekh ke ruk gaya. Aab me chala jaoong ga (child I was waiting for you. I was about to go home when I saw your car and stayed back. Now I will go home) I thank him and drove home. The security uncle is 60 years old and stays in a small house attached to the office with his wife. His children abandoned them after getting his property. His bright smile brings peace when you are frustrated or sad. He has that fatherly affection towards me.

I go home, change from work clothes, and get to work. I blink several times to moist my eyes and look at my phone, which flashes 1:30 a.m. I close my laptop and sleep, as I have to go early to the office. 

Aarohi's outfit 

Hi everyone, here is another update on JOS

Hi everyone, here is another update on JOS. As always let me know your thoughts on the chapters in the comments and vote. 

Question: what are your thoughts on the director?  What is your favorite day of the week?

Lots Of Love,

Ashely.