Don't Talk Snitch

Returning to school meant returning to classes which meant homework. Luckily we came back on Saturday so Hermione, Nev and I went to the library on Sunday to check over it for mistakes before we had to turn it in.

After lunch I met Harry at Quidditch practice. Something got under Wood's skin and we all could tell. He was working everybody twice as hard. Towards the end of practice he finally let the bad news slip. Snape was refereeing the next match. Because Snape isn't biased, right? No wonder Wood has been freaking out. If we won our next match against Hufflepuff we would overtake Slytherin in the house championship for the first time in seven years. This was awful.

By the end of practice we were wiped. Some of the team took their time to chat, however I went straight back to Gryffindor tower. I had never been so happy to finally reach the common room. I jumped straight into the shower and my was it heavenly. I may have taken my sweet time in the shower, just standing with my eyes closed, letting the water cascade down my back, soothing my sore muscles. The vision from the Mirror of Erised flashed behind my eyelids again. I tilted my head back into the spray and let my tears mix into the water falling down my face.

After a few more minutes I turned off the shower and wrung the excess water out of my hair. I swiped the steam off of the mirror and looked into the reflection of my hazel eyes. I mentally tried to bottle up and compartmentalize my grief. I smiled at myself like nothing was wrong. After a while maybe I'll fool myself. I dried myself off and got dressed in a pair of shorts and the red jumper I got from Mrs.Weasley for Christmas.

As a habit I fisted my hand in the sleeves of my jumper as I went downstairs. Hermione was testing her flash cards on Harry, and Ron was messing with his Chocolate Frog cards. Hermione shook her head at him. "Look at you, playing with your cards. Pathetic! We've got final exams coming up soon." She lectured. "I'm ready, ask me any question." Ron insisted. Oh, boy. Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Alright, what are the three most crucial ingredients in a forgetfulness potion?" Ron frowned, "I forgot." Hermione pursed her lips. "And what may I ask, do you plan to do if that comes up on the final exam?" Ron perked up slightly. "Copy off you?" Hermione glared at him. "No, you won't! Besides, according to Professor McGonagall we're to be given special quills bewitched with an anti-cheating spell." Ron gasped. "That's insulting! It's as if they don't trust us!"

The portrait opened and Nev tumbled into the common room. His legs were stuck together. Oh Nev, that definitely looks like a Leg-Locker Curse. Did he bunny hop all the way up here?

Everyone in the common room started laughing and I glared at them as I helped him get to the couch. "What happened?" I asked. "Malfoy," he said quietly. "I met him outside the library. He said that he'd been looking for someone to practice that on." Ugh, what was his problem? Hermione put down her book. "Go to Professor McGonagall. Report him!" she urged. Neville shook his head and looked at his shoes. "I don't want more trouble." Yet, apparently Malfoy does.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville! He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier." Ron said. "How can I? I can barely stand at all!" he paused. "There's no need to tell me that I'm not brave enough for Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that." Nev choked out, looking as if he was about to cry. Oh son of a banshee, was Malfoy gonna get it. When I got my hands on him...

Seamus jumped up with his wand, eager to help. "I know the counter curse!" Nev's eyes widened. "No! That's just what I need, for you to set my bloody knee caps on fire!" Seamus slammed his wand on the table. "I don't appreciate the insinuation Longbottom! Besides, if anyone cares to notice, my eyebrows have completely grown back!" I snorted and tried to contain my laughter as he walked up to his dormitory, a big white bald spot glistening in the light as he made his exit. I could tell Hermione was having difficulties containing her laughter as well. She shook her head before the performed the counter curse and Nev's legs sprang apart. He bent his knees and then stretched then to regain the feeling in his legs.