Chapter 18

Trigger/Mature Content Warning!

"And you're sure there will be no side effects?" Sasuke asked Itachi and the investigator he'd brought along with him.

They'd arrived days earlier than expected, interrupting Sakura's fitting. He wished he could've stayed with her. Ino was ready to defend his fiance with her life, though, so he wasn't as concerned as he'd be if she were alone with that perverted tailor. Shortly after their arrival, Sasuke was informed the investigator, an incredibly large and muscular man named Kisame, intended to use magic to search Sakura's memories and identify the person responsible for her attack.

'I'm surprised Madara sent such a high-ranking knight. He must actually care for Sakura's well-being. I thought it was all an act. Perhaps it is, and he has another reason for sending them here.'

Only the best of the best are able to use magic, and even then, it was rare for it to be performed for any reason outside war and directly assisting the crown. Since he'd been banished for so long, Sasuke assumed he wasn't truly considered part of the royal family anymore. He didn't allow himself to feel touched by the gesture because he didn't trust Madara after all he'd done.

"There may be some mental distress. She'll experience the memories as I do, so whatever trauma she's suffered, it will be as though it's happening again," Itachi explained, sharing a look with Kisame. Sasuke pictured the withdrawn and terrified Sakura he'd witnessed for days after her assault and gritted his teeth, 'I want to avenge her, but is it worth it to force her to repeat what happened?'

Itachi picked up on his younger brother's hesitance, "Why don't we speak with her first? Maybe she'll be able to give us details she forgot to mention before since some time has passed and she's calmed."

Sasuke didn't see much issue with that but eyed the imposing knight. He was unfamiliar with Kisame. Even if Itachi vouched for him, it did little to ease his hesitance. "You don't do anything unless I'm present. Understood?" The duo shared another look before nodding to the second prince.

"Shall we visit my soon-to-be little sister, then?" Itachi asked.

The three men leave Sasuke's office and trek to the dressing room, only to find it empty. Sasuke stood there with wide eyes, 'The fitting is over already? Then where-' "Ah, My Lord! I was just about to serve tea to Lady Haruno and her brother. Would you like to join them?" Ino asked, appearing with a large tray of tea, cups, and cookies.

'Her brother is here?' The prince nodded, gesturing for her to lead the way. Behind him, the two visitors from the capitol remained silent.

When they arrived at the tea room, Sasuke didn't bother knocking and entered the door. Sakura's eyes were wide and watery as they met his. His teeth gritted as he averted his glare to the pest sitting across from her: Hihara.

'She's obviously uncomfortable around him. What terrible things did he say to upset her?'

Feeling angry and protective, he crossed the room, sparing his fiance a glance as she rose to stand, obviously nervous. "Does the Haruno family not believe in the courtesy of sending a letter prior to visiting?"

Hihara's eyes narrowed, but he bowed and said, "My apologies. Our family was so concerned upon receiving your letter that I couldn't bear to waste another second without verifying her well-being with my own eyes."

Itachi shared a look with Sasuke before interrupting, "It's an honor to meet you again so soon. You'll be pleased to hear we've arrived to investigate your sister's attack." He gestured toward Kisame, who bowed but remained silent, "The king has sent one of our best knights to personally oversee things. We won't rest until the culprit has been brought to justice."