Chapter 36

Sakura nervously stared out the nearby window. A week had come and gone since Hana arrived at the winterland's estate. She and Sasuke were still quiet and tense around one another because of him keeping the truth about their first night together a secret.

Regardless of that, the issue of her little sister's strange demeanor was concerning. The prince also refused to allow his new sister-in-law to be alone with his wife. As a result, at least in Sakura's opinion, Hana hadn't come out of her shell at all. It was clear that the girl and the prince didn't enjoy one another's presence, so anytime they were all together, it seemed to do more harm than good.

The time had come where they'd exhausted all their options, leaving just one thing: allowing Akuma and Hana to directly interact.

Usually, Sakura would be excited to speak to the demon after not doing so for such a long period of time. She was scared, though. Akuma had betrayed her trust just as much as Sasuke had by pretending to be her husband in a very personable moment.

The princess unconsciously wrapped her arms around her growing stomach. No one could be sure what fate awaited her and the child. It'd become a source of stress for the woman. With that said, she loved the unborn baby more than anything and vowed to herself to protect it regardless of whether Akuma's involvement had an effect.

'Will we even be able to tell if it has demon blood?' She suddenly recalled the fact that Akuma had hidden his true appearance from her for a long time. Red eyes, sharp nails, and fangs weren't the only features a demon possessed. Her pulse quickened as she imagined a tiny baby with the same dark skin and fleshy wings she'd seen the one time she'd been given a glimpse of the demon's true form. 'What type of life will I be able to give them if they don't look human? Will they be able to grow up normally? What about when they're an adult? Will they be able to find love and acceptance?'

"Dove, being with child suits you." A familiar, gravely voice broke Sakura of her concerned thoughts.

She slowly turned to face Akuma, her breath catching when his glowing eyes bore into hers. It'd been so long since he was last present, but in that moment it felt as if no time at all had passed.

His brow furrowed slightly as he studied her cautious appearance. It was clear he was holding himself back as a result of what'd occurred. Usually, he wouldn't hesitate to pull her into an embrace, run his fingers through her hair, and say brazenly sexual or domineering words. And Sakura would've let him because Sasuke told her to never upset the demon. She didn't mind much because she and Akuma had a special relationship. Well, they did before he violated her trust.

The demon's eyes narrowed, his fists clenching at his sides as he sneered, "Does the princess still possess a voice?"

Tears met Sakura's eyes, making Akuma close his mouth quickly. She looked over his appearance with a sad frown. When she finally mustered the strength to speak, her voice wavered with emotion, "Why did you do it?"

Akuma swallowed hard. He seemed uncharacteristically uncomfortable, maybe even nervous. His furrowed brow deepened before he closed his eyes and turned away as though he couldn't look at her while speaking, "You forget what I am."

Hurt panged Sakura's chest, her tears overflowing, "...What?"

In an instant, the demon stood before her with his glare alight, fangs bared angrily, "I am not human! Would you place raw steak before a jaguar and expect it not to feed?"

Sakura's hands met his chest instinctually, the lump in her throat becoming harder to swallow. Her voice met his raised level, "I thought—" "You thought what?" Akuma hissed, suddenly quieter. His glare was menacing. "Did you think I'd be able to carry on pretending not to desire you when I'm forced to watch that cowardly, unworthy prince claim what should be mine?"