𝐈𝐈𝐈

The table was silent when Oliver joined. Elspeth and James would direct orders at the many maids and butlers that were rushing around but everyone else was silent. Venetia was indulging in a book with a glass of wine in hand while Fairleigh smoked a cigarettes and scrolled on his phone.

Oliver directed his attention at Felix from across the table; the man was nervous. He repeatedly brought his hand to his mouth to nibble on his fingernails, he was tapping his fingers incessantly against the table and he seemed to be extremely impatient with the way he let out an irritated huff every few minutes. Oliver just scoffed and leaned back against his chair, swilling the alcohol around his wine glass before taking a sip.

"When will she come?" Felix groaned, rubbing his hands over his face and through his hair. Venetia giggled from her seat without a glance at Felix and Oliver could tell she was amused by Felix's anxiety. Oliver chuckled himself when he heard Felix grumble a response at Venetia's amusement.

"Now, now, dear. You must be patient! Darla will arrive when she-"

The doors were thrown open. All heads turned. Oliver didn't know what to expect. An intimidating, fierce woman? A rude, obnoxious girl? Everyone stood from their seats, Oliver absentmindedly followed suit. When he let his blue eyes rest upon her delicate self, all his senses became at once overwhelmed.

He understood now. He understood why everyone was so restless; she was an angel. You could see the innocence of her nature surrounding her like an aura. The sunlight that had the privilege to touch her skin complimented her natural light. She lit up the room with as little as walking in. He wanted it. He wanted... her.

"Darling Darla!" Elspeth exclaimed as she hurried to the young girl. Venetia placed down her book, Farleigh switched off his phone. And Felix, he was in awe. It was as if being in her presence paralysed him, and he wasn't even sure he wanted to move away.

The second Darla's eyes met Felix's, a squeal emitted her lips and she darted across the room to Felix. As she wrapped her arms around his ribs, his arms engulfed her body. He rested his nose upon her hair and inhaled, intoxicated by her scent. Just to have her small body pressed against his felt like a void in his cold heart had been filled with the beauty of her.

"Darla," his voice was barely above a whisper and to say her name and to actually have her respond after years of crying it into his pillow with no response... well, it felt like a dream, "Darla, angel, I missed you."

It was all he could dare to speak, afraid that if he continued, he would break down in tears. She just looked up at him with her large eyes and smiled a smile that warmed his healing heart.

"Felix, you're such a hog," Venetia complained as she tore the girl away from him. If he wasn't too busy fawning after Darla, he would've hurled insults at his sister for pulling his angel away.

"I missed you, darling Darla," Venetia smiled as she embraced Darla. She wrapped her arms around Venetia as the pair exchanged tight hugs. They pulled away from one another but kept their hands interlinked as Venetia directed Darla's attention at Oliver.

"This is the infamous Oliver," she introduced. Oliver smiled but his eyebrows furrowed in confusion; infamous? They must have spoken about him. He hoped Venetia hadn't told Darla about their past... encounters. He wouldn't want to possibility of a relationship to be gone before he even had a chance.

"I've heard so much about you, Mr. Quick," Darla spoke softly and her voice was like honey, smooth and sweet. To hear his name roll off her tongue was enough to make his knees tremble. But he hid his nasty intentions and offered his hand out for her.

She smiled sheepishly and placed her hand in his, her skin like silk to the touch, and he leaned down to press his lips to the back of her hand. That action ignited a spark of anger in Felix that he struggled to not express verbally. The way Darla blushed the second Oliver's lips touched her skin made Felix sick.

Darla quickly gave the remaining people hugs, with Fairleigh having to excuse himself as he refused to shed the tears this reunion threatened to spill. Oliver was quick to pull out Darla's chair for her to take a seat, still not noticing Felix's anger towards these actions.

Venetia noticed and immediately knew; this was going to be a disaster.