Chapter 28: Loyalties

Tilda was trying not to think about anything as she stood in the office of the notorious Arquix tyrant. She was not thinking about what she was going to tell the Duke. Not about how stupid this was. Not about the fact that this moment might be her last. Why was she doing this again? Integrity? Honor? She tried not to think about how stupid those concepts were.

Delrik sat nonchalantly at his desk across from the maid. He might have had his feet propped up if he had cared any less. Felux stood nearby the maid, looking uncommonly tense.

The maid bowed and said, "I found out about the curse."

Delrik's casual pretense shattered as he narrowed his eyes and leaned forward. He wasn't sure he had heard correctly as the atmosphere grew serious. He asked, "What curse?"

Tilda said, "The curse. The reason you need holy water."

It would have been better if he hadn't heard correctly. "How?" He said.

Tilda said, "I found out."

Delrik's eyes glanced at Felux who stood unmoving, almost challengingly. Had Felux told the maid? Not likely.

Delrik sniggered, "Someone told you?"

"I found out," Tilda repeated. She wouldn't let Delrik know that it was Cosaria who told her. She worried he would punish Cosaria for it.

"Who was it?" Delrik demanded.

"I found out."

Tilda glanced up and matched the intensity in Delrik's eyes. She would not back down, nor would she tell. He could make whatever assumptions he wanted.

Clenching his teeth, Delrik leaned back in his chair. Could it have been Cosaria? It was the only plausible choice. He would have to look into the matter further.

"I see. Why are you telling me this?"

Tilda said, "You deserve to know who has your information. If you should have me executed, I will accept my fate."

Felux took a step forward saying, "But I won't."

Delrik lifted a shocked eyebrow at Felux's sudden interference. Felux rarely ever interfered in Delrik's personal business. Addressing Felux, Delrik asked, "What are you talking about? It is my decision."

"Aye, and it'd be a bad one. This maid's proven to be loyal and trustworthy."

Maybe it was Felux who told her. Whatever the case, Felux trusted this maid.

Delrik said, "You think she's proven herself?"

"Aye. She's Cosaria's personal maid and she's protected the lady on a number of occasions."

Delrik contemplated this claim. Leaning back he voiced, "You're saying she's more useful alive than dead."

Felux said, "Don't be putting words in my mouth Sir."

Stroking his chin, Delrik glowered at Felux, who had no problem returning the scowl. Delrik wasn't certain the last time he had felt such push back on any subject.

Delrik pondered, Maybe I could use that maid to get closer to Lady Cosaria. Though she seems to have some kind of odd effect on Felux.

Delrik announced his verdict, "For now. For now I'll keep her alive. I shall consider the matter further and decide my verdict later."

She could be a useful pawn but I need to know whose side she's on. Who does she work for really? I'll need to test her myself. If she fails then Felux can't argue my decision to have her killed, Delrik thought.